Funny thing about dry hopping

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I did a festival landlords kit recently and added the dry hops as instructed.
However I got called away to Poland with work and the hops stayed in a bit too long.
Bottled it anyway and after its usual 2 weeks carb, 2 weeks condition I opened my first bottle.

Blurgh. Very grassy. Very 'green' tasting.
Never mind, I'll drink anything really. However I have to admit I've only opened a few of these if there is other beer in the house. Each time I've thought I'll not do that again!
But this evening is it's 5 week conditioning anniversary and I cracked a bottle and it's tastes like a completely different beer!!! Literally in the space of 3 days it lost all of the grassiness and raw vegetable flavour and has flowered in to quite a fantastic beer!
I'm not only happy by the change in the beer, but I'm really surprised at how the dry hop flavour has literally dropped off a cliff in the matter of a few days.
Who'd have thunk it!

And to check it wasn't a one off, I've tried 3 and they're all just as delicious

I had a similar experience, I recently brewed an IPA and dry hopped. On sampling the first few bottles I was very impressed with the intense flavour. After a couple of weeks however the flavour really dropped off. Left a bit disappointed......

I did a festival landlords kit recently and added the dry hops as instructed.
However I got called away to Poland with work and the hops stayed in a bit too long.
Bottled it anyway and after its usual 2 weeks carb, 2 weeks condition I opened my first bottle.

Blurgh. Very grassy. Very 'green' tasting.
Never mind, I'll drink anything really. However I have to admit I've only opened a few of these if there is other beer in the house. Each time I've thought I'll not do that again!
But this evening is it's 5 week conditioning anniversary and I cracked a bottle and it's tastes like a completely different beer!!! Literally in the space of 3 days it lost all of the grassiness and raw vegetable flavour and has flowered in to quite a fantastic beer!
I'm not only happy by the change in the beer, but I'm really surprised at how the dry hop flavour has literally dropped off a cliff in the matter of a few days.
Who'd have thunk it!

And to check it wasn't a one off, I've tried 3 and they're all just as delicious
Called out to Poland 😳😳😳
When I’m on call, the next towns a thought 😉
Seriously mate, good to hear, yep, time makes a lot of difference to homebrew,shame I’ve no patience

I've just started drinking some wine I made three years ago. I was going to throw it out it was so bad, now it tastes like it's come off a supermarket shelf. Not the own brand shelf mind, proper wine.

I love how my beers change over time. It's a fascinating journey.

I only get sad when I notice a decline from their best moment of maturity. Not that they start tasting bad, just not as good as they used to.

I've just started drinking some wine I made three years ago. I was going to throw it out it was so bad, now it tastes like it's come off a supermarket shelf. Not the own brand shelf mind, proper wine.

what sort of wine was it, Elderberry?

Latest posts

Back