Gas questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Zee

Reaction score
I picked this up on my travels :party:

Image0097.jpg

And I can have another one if I like. :party:
But my question is.. Is it suitable for a (later to be purchased) Cornie. The gas is a Nitrogen and CO2 mix..Is this the right gas? :pray:

Image0099.jpg

Next question....I have been offered a couple of Butane cylinders. Is the gas suitable for a Propane burner? Can I have the cylinder refilled with Propane? :pray:

Don't know about Q1... :hmm:
but Q2 why don't you just change your blue Butane cylinder for a red Propane at your local garage/builders yard....I've done so.... :thumb:

alien.gif

Yes, you can use butane for your propane burner, if you've got a butane regulator.

No, you can't get the cylinder refilled with a different gas, they have different outlets.

As DJ says, you can usually exchange an empty butane cylinder for a full propane, or vice-versa, for the same size of cylinder.

Providing the cylinder you've acquired does contain what it says, then it is ideal for stouts, etc. The nitrogen will give a tighter, creamier head than CO2 alone.

Welcome to brewing your own nitro-keg beer, lol!

No one will fill a mixed gas cylinder with CO2 . . . they are colour coded so that you can tell what's in them . . . putting the wrong gas in a cylinder is downright dangerous . . . and possibly lethal.

Because CO2 liquifies at low pressures (800psi) that is pretty much the maximum pressure in the cylinder (They are hydro tested to much higher than this though) . . . but Mixed gas needs much higher pressures (2000 psi). . . . The cylinders also take different fittings (CO2 is male Mixed Gas Female), and the primary stage regulators are different.

Getting two cornie's and a regulator of Norm. Can I use A disposable welding C02 canister as a tempory gas supply till I get a proper drinks CO2 cylinder.

Latest posts

Back