Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Grain, Hops, Yeast & Water > Cross my loof Saison yeast

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 18-09-2017, 11:26 PM   #1
Hoddy

Liked 321 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Cross my loof Saison yeast

Anyone tried this yeast yet?

I've tried this dried yeast directly against my usual recipe that I use with the wyeast French Saison yeast.

General feedback is it ferments well and attenuates to leave a nice dry beer just as a French Saison should.

I would say it doesn't have the full fruit and French Saison funk that the wyeast French Saison liquid strain has.

I've also noticed that the CML dried version has a horsey/cardboard element to it. More like a Belgian Saison yeast rather than the French style that you would expect.

All in all it's a pretty good yeast. Which at the cost of it you can't complain with. I would however be inclined to use this yeast in more of a Belgian style and I think it would work well in a more malty base with a higher alcohol content.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whatever is ready

Follow me and see what i am up to on my YouTube Channel here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOv...dj5fHWB7nwO1ow

Tips, Tricks and general ramblings on everything to do with home brewing.
Saisonator Likes This 
Old 19-09-2017, 08:21 PM   #2
Tuizner
Janitor

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Am 16 days into the ferment and hopefully when i get home tonight it will be ready for the next stage. Question is secondary or bottle?

Old 19-09-2017, 10:38 PM   #3
Hoddy

My batch was in primary for 18 days and direct transferred into a corney keg and it was good to go. No need for secondary

Whatever is ready

Follow me and see what i am up to on my YouTube Channel here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOv...dj5fHWB7nwO1ow

Old 20-09-2017, 08:53 AM   #4
mr_bridger

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

What sort of temps have you been fermenting at? Maybe warmer would make more funky? I might grab a packet or two and give it a whirl at some point. (using yeast harvested from a BBno 01|01 Saison at moment)

Old 20-09-2017, 09:41 PM   #5
Tuizner
Janitor

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Mine is in kitchen. 18-22 currently.

Old 20-09-2017, 11:12 PM   #6
Hoddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bridger View Post
What sort of temps have you been fermenting at? Maybe warmer would make more funky? I might grab a packet or two and give it a whirl at some point. (using yeast harvested from a BBno 01|01 Saison at moment)

This one was at 22oC pitch and then allowed to free rise up to 25oC. I wouldn’t say it was funk, more the yeast character is naturally bready/cardboard.

If I’m honest I’m not taken (personally) with this saison yeast in a French style.

Whatever is ready