First brew in 7 years

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First brew today in 7 years today and first ever on my own! Everything went to plan and beer when going into the fermenter had a good colour and good flavour although hope the hops bitterness reduces with fermentation.

Recipe
500g munich malt
500g pilsner malt
100g carapils

Ella Hops
6g 60 mins
3g 15 minutes
3g 0 minutes

I think i got a OG of 1.043

First brew today in 7 years today and first ever on my own! Everything went to plan and beer when going into the fermenter had a good colour and good flavour although hope the hops bitterness reduces with fermentation.

Happy return! :thumb: Same equipment, or invested in something newer/shiny/bigger?

So bottled my first brew today, pleased with the clarity considering i didnt use any finings. Taste is good if not a little one dimensional. Took my final gravity reading and its a little weaker than predicted on brewers friend so need to work on my efficiency next time but over all i am pleased that i will have brewed a drinkable beer. Looking forward to 2 weeks in the bottle and then to drink. This was brewed to celebrate my new baby girl who arrived last weekend. Using Ella hops as her name is Ella. 😁

So first sampling today... its drinkable! Very happy and even the better half liked it.

Quite yeasty and sweet to start. A bit of tropical notes on the nose and very faint on the palate.

Too bitter at the end and needs some more hop flavours in there but for first go i am very pleased.

20171009_175022.jpg

So first sampling today... its drinkable! Very happy and even the better half liked it.

Quite yeasty and sweet to start. A bit of tropical notes on the nose and very faint on the palate.

Too bitter at the end and needs some more hop flavours in there but for first go i am very pleased.

Hm, got any IBU readings? Never used Ella hops, can't say anything about the profile. But hey: you're back in business :thumb:

Latest posts

Back