First attempt at extract

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdt7618

Landlord.
Reaction score
So have cobbled together some ingredients from unused kits and hops that I have grown myself.

Can someone please sense check the recipe below. Am only doing kits at the moment and can see this continuing till summer next year given what I have on the shelf but then I will probably move on to AG with either an ACE or if I can find the funds a Grandfather.

Few points, I only have a 10l pan that can go on our induction stove so the boil will be 8l with 1.5kg of malt with the other 1.5kg being put straight into the FV

The other is these are my own hops so have no idea of AA level.

Method: Extract
Style: American Pale Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 20 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 8 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.116 (recipe based estimate)
Efficiency: 35% (steeping grains only)

Original Gravity: 1.046 Final Gravity: 1.009 ABV (alternate): 4.98% IBU (tinseth): 33.43 SRM (morey): 3.26
Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
1.5 kg Liquid Malt Extract - Extra Light 37 2.5 50%
1.5 kg Liquid Malt Extract - Extra Light 37 2.5 50%
3 kg Total
Hops
Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
40 g Target Leaf/Whole 11.5 Boil 60 min 29.37
25 g Cascade Leaf/Whole 7 Boil 10 min 4.05
25 g Cascade Leaf/Whole 7 Aroma 0 min
50 g Cascade Leaf/Whole 7 Dry Hop 5 days
Hops Summary
Amount Variety Type AA
100 g Cascade Leaf/Whole 7
40 g Target Leaf/Whole 11.5
Yeast
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05

I plan to do this next Wednesday when I have a free evening and no wife around.

Cheers

40 g Target Leaf/Whole 11.5 Boil 60 min 29.37

Something doesn't look right here.

I calculate that 40g of Target (11% AA) would result in ~55 IBU.

You then have the other late additions which will add some to this. This is more like a full on IPA bitterness.

If you're completely unsure about the AA % of your hops, you'll either have a crazy bitter beer, or nowhere near enough IBUs, so I'd suggest stagger the additions a little more to cover all bases.

Better if it turns out less bitter but you've had more flavour additions. Something like 10g @ 40 min, 30 min, 20 min and 10min.

Other than that your numbers all look spot on :thumb:

Something doesn't look right here.

I calculate that 40g of Target (11% AA) would result in ~55 IBU.

You then have the other late additions which will add some to this. This is more like a full on IPA bitterness.

If you're completely unsure about the AA % of your hops, you'll either have a crazy bitter beer, or nowhere near enough IBUs, so I'd suggest stagger the additions a little more to cover all bases.

Better if it turns out less bitter but you've had more flavour additions. Something like 10g @ 40 min, 30 min, 20 min and 10min.

Other than that your numbers all look spot on :thumb:

I was wondering that but I think it is because it is only an 8l boil volume that you dont get full hop utilisation?

either way Pale Ale or IPA i dont mind:lol::thumb:

I was wondering that but I think it is because it is only an 8l boil volume that you dont get full hop utilisation?

either way Pale Ale or IPA i dont mind:lol::thumb:

that looks good I use 100g of high aa in a 15 min boil with the 6 litres water a bag of dme (or a can) the rest as you say goes in the fv and top up with cold-superchilled water. no further cooling required.

that looks good I use 100g of high aa in a 15 min boil with the 6 litres water a bag of dme (or a can) the rest as you say goes in the fv and top up with cold-superchilled water. no further cooling required.

Cheers gives me a bit of confidence that this will work.:grin:

Well got on with this tonight,assembled my ingredients.

Was impressed with how quick our induction stove brought 8l up to boil.
Felt like a beer during the whole process even if it was just a nanny state.

Hit the og bang on, now just waiting on the last bit of cooling before pitching the yeast. Just hope my own hops live up to expectations

Now have to wait till it ferments out etc. Will give it at least two weeks be for I dry hop it with another 50 grams of my own cascade

IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

That will be the four pints you have consumed whilst putting this together.
Hope it turns out as you planned :thumb:

If only terry, the beers were after the event, kids taxi get in the way all to often now.

With a plan to move to ag next year I am really seeing time becoming a big issue. But I did enjoy the process.

I'm firmly in the extract with grains where needed camp :twisted:

some stay with kits, some go ag and wherever you decide to land if you love to drink it that's all that really matters :thumb: I found a bottle of 6 month old belgian wit beer and it was clear as a bell and super delicious and that's coming from a fan of cloudy beers :eek:

hope you brew ticks ur boxes :thumb:

Well the 50gram of cascade went in this weekend, the hops have all floated but hopefully they will sink over time.

Certainly my own cascade doesn't have that " smell" the US ones have but sure whatever it will be drinkable.

Transferred this to a secondary today and popped in the brew fridge to cold crash for over night at 0 degrees, will bottle tomorrow. Fg was 1.006 so a wee bit stronger than planned but at 5.25 % still very drinkable, but the sample was ok, certainly didn't get a big cascade hit like the US hop, but think this will be a nice drinkable beer.

First bottle of this is now in the fridge for trying tonight. has been conditioning for the last 2 weekish and I cant hold out any longer to sample this:thumb:

First impressions, it has good body, nice mouthfeel and tastes ok. Bit bland considering the amount of hops I used, but then given that I grew them and have no idea what AA etc they are.... certainly nothing like US cascade would taste. Almost a strawberry like taste.

Certainly not going to have to keep this hidden away, a nice easy drinking pint.:):drink:

And I even got the picture the right way up

Back