Cleaning fermenting bucket

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimincs

Reaction score
Hi, I`ve only used my fermenting bucket twice once for bitter and once for stout. The stout fermented very vigorously for the first 48 hours ish but after bottling the stout and cleaning the fermenting bucket there is still a strong smell of beer in it but not a bad smell. I filled it with warm water and VWP and left it overnight then emptied and rinsed with a hose pipe. I was careful not to scour the inside in case I scratched it.
Will it be alright to use as it is for the next batch or should I do something else to remove the smell ?
Also how long can a solution of VWP be kept for before throwing it away ?
Thanks for your replies in advance.

I'd rather my fv smelt of beer rather than plastic or cleaning solution. hope that helps. :thumb:

I wouldnt even use VWP anymore.

Get your self some cheap baby bottle steriliser from Adsa, Tesco or Morrisons.....its all the same stuff and works out at 80p per 1200ml. Best way to go if you ask me, been using it for around 2 years now and dont even let the solution soak for long.

:)

Or even cheap thin bleach. Baby bottle steriliser is just bleach, but more dilute.

Hi, thanks, I last brewed some 25 years ago and I used something called sodium metabisphulate which was lethal to my nostrils and lungs, then bleach which I always got on my clothes, but I can not smell anything nor do I get blotches on my clothes from VWP. I bought some locally for £4.20 for 400g. I also used oxyclean, @ £1 a tub from Farmfoods to remove the worst gunk. But if I`ve understood correctly I would not have to rinse out Videne so that would be a plus. :thumb: I`ll try some when I`ve used up the VWP. :cheers: k

Latest posts

Back