St Peters Ruby Red Ale review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the 5th time I've done this kit now as it's my favourite kit without doubt and I've tried all the usual favourites such as werry, festival kits etc.

I've never had this kit stick unlike some (muntons) it always ferments out perfectly and clears naturally to give a beer that is better by a mile than you can buy.

If you haven't tried this kit then get it on now for Xmas you won't be disappointed

I keep meaning to start biab as I've got most of my kit now but this kit keeps holding me back as I enjoy it that much.

I've also just bought St. Peter's cream stout for ago hopefully it's as good as the ruby

I've just kegged this today after 2 weeks in the FV and it's the first kit I've done that has that home brew twang :( I'll give it a month and then have a taste to see if it's improved .Fingers crossed.

I have found that a few times with Ruby, it seems to have "That Twang" in the barrel and each time it has disappeared. Try to leave it 8 weeks for the best results.

Ive just finished a barrel of it but for me Wherry has the edge

Thanks for the reply Russ, that's cheered me up a bit. I thought I must have done something wrong with it being the first time I've had the dreaded twang. Looks like it will be my Christmas beer. :D

:cheers:

I made this kit a few weeks ago and then left it in the FV for way longer than the instructions said as I didn't have time to bottle it etc etc.

I've had a couple of bottles which have now been in the bottles for a couple of weeks and they're not perfectly clear and taste OK but not great. I'm quite encouraged after reading this thread to leave the other bottles chilling out for a few more weeks before writing it off as a failure - will the length of time left in the FV have had a negative effect on the final beer?

Cheers all! :thumb:

How long is ages?

Mine was really murky at bottling time, but cleared down to a beautiful pint you can see through.

SloeBrewer said:
How long is ages?

Mine was really murky at bottling time, but cleared down to a beautiful pint you can see through.

Probably 3-4 weeks after it finished fermenting but I am too lazy to make notes ;)

It is clearer that it was so I'm still hopeful. :cheers:

That's a fair while, might taste a bit yeasty and it's surprising that it didn't clear down after that length of time.

Don't give up on it - it's a big, hoppy beer and only really comes into its own after being allowed to condition for 4-6 weeks.

Just a quick update on this brew. I posted 3 weeks ago and I was worried because it was the first brew I had done that had the home brew twang. Well after 3 weeks in the keg it has totally changed and is now a very nice beer with no twang at all. Slightly sweet taste and a nice hoppy after taste. Hopefully I'll try and save it for Christmas, this is one I will definitely do again but maybe up the alcohol content, this one came out at 3.8 %

:cheers:

If you made it as is from the kit, it will be around 4.3% abv.

One of the nicest kit beers I ever made. I classed it as a dirty beer, but after a few weeks in the bottle it goes crystal clear.

The St Peters kit was recommended by my local home brew shop as a good started kit and was an easy starter which turned out very well.
I started the hobby with a little dread because my only exposure to home brew was a nightmare with cloudy sediment filled bottles but I have got to say it turned out very well.
The only question is, do I get another St Peters ruby or move on?
I as a rule am not a big drinker and Hobgoblin is my favored bought brew, this kit was more than equal.
I have started the hobby as fun and look forward to the limitless future.

This is about to go on my Christmas list but was wondering if anyone knows of where I can buy a bottle to try first?

Thanks, I've tried Asda and Sainsburys but had no luck. Will give Tescos a whirl tomorrow.

bottled this on 24/11/13 opened two up today as a friend came round and drank one coopers homebrew wheatbeer and one hobgoblin so decided to try st peters ruby being similar to hobgoblin. on opening still cloudy only been in shed cooling 10 days but tasted really good smelt nice (not an expert and not going to get into malty tastes and aromas etc ) apart from the clarity of the beer hopefully will be clear by christmas, it had a good nice taste head retenion not good but no worse than hobgoblin. anyway two beers down and really enjoyed. as a two can kit its slightly more expensive than a single can but well worth the price. A very drinkable beer and when/if it clears will be in my opinion just as good as wychwood hobgoblin rrp £2 bottle over rrp £22 for 40 pints
whats their not to like excluding cost of sundries such as bottles capping sanitiser etc (no sugar required as two can kit) works out at .55pence for 40 500ml bottles not bad going if your into homebrew (guess you are if your reading this forum) and you like a ruby beer or mild bitter then make this beer its worth it. Cant wait for it to clear and taste test in weeks time. This one was my christmas beer and thats what it will be because after New year with a few like minded friends round theirs going to be none left..
This one will be made again.................. and soon

Bottled this a week ago. Couldn't resist and opened a bottle last night. Wow! Whilst I could tell it was young and will definatly get better with some more time in the bottle it was still extremely drinkable. Very pleased!

Back