Saison Yeast Capture

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asalpaws

Landlord.
Reaction score
Having a go at yeast capture for the first time. I was going to try Sierra Nevada Pale ale but it seems this is probably US 05 which I have a pack of in the fridge!

Thus I had a look at my bottles for somthing more interesting, found this Saison bottle has a ton of sediment in the bottom.

Has anyone tried this yeast or have any info on what it might be? I'm keen to brew a Saison so I hope it works! Cheers

5ad9dae7-c609-5dd8.jpg

I've used a reculture from Saison Dupont before, it worked well. It will ferment pretty low

very brief brewday thread

iirc it got down to 1005 or so, I let the fermentation temp get pretty high as apparently this works with saison yeasts

I think dupont use a multistrain culture so it may be a bit variable from bottle to bottle.

The culture from a bottle should be better than the single strain from yeast suppliers -( WLP565 Saison 1 :evil: come to mind) it can be a real pain.

Dupont ferment 30-35C! 25, 26 or 27C is a better temp to run it at -Dupont is a bit different than other Saison breweries. The pure strain yeast has a rep of hitting the wall in the upper mid-teens...this has happens to me all the time with the single strain Saison1 and I have had to repitch with an ale yeast to finish the beer off. I now use the Saison11 culture and it behaves!

The other strains in the yeast at the bottom of the bottle may help get the fermentation to finish as mumbler has said. This beer is dry and sub-1009 is good.

F

Thanks for the advice, must admit I thought the Saison yeast wasn't viable as nothing happened for at least 72 hours.
5ad9dae7-21a1-751e.jpg

However putting it in my warm attic seems to have done the trick!

Managed to collect a good amount of yeast on this, the spent wort tastes like hoegarden. I think I will do some kind of split batch deal, half with a white labs euro ale yeast and the other half with the Saison. Ferment the WL cool and the Saison warm.....

Glad it cultured up. Remember that yeast from the bottle needs a bit of love and attention to get it going. There may well be not a lot of viable yeast. You can't expect it to take off like dried yeast. In the past I have put it in around 100ml of wort and then stepped up again from that, a bit of yeast nutrient might be a good idea too.

Let us know how the beers turn out.

Made up a small brew to test this using pilsner malt, placed the FV in my warm attic 21 - 25 degrees. Going off like a rocket! Fingers crossed it doesn't stall out....
5ad96f0f-815f-ad84.jpg

Don't forget that with a saison, you really need time as well to allow it to develop all those lovely :sick: :sick: :sick: flavours

From my experience Wyeast French Saison yeast is easier to handle, fermentation-wise. No need to ramp up the temperature, even no need for any sugar, this yeast is dry as hell and ferments like crazy. :thumb:

Cool, might throw that in if the DuPont. Gives up, brew is a health 27 degrees today!

Latest posts

Back