Fermenting Bucket

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crownwine

Reaction score
Hi All

Just a quick question from a rookie. I started making my own wine using winekits and used to use the fermenting vessel (barrel type) with bung and airlock. I used to get the airlock bubbling nicely during the fermentation period. I just started with a new winekit and for the first time I am using the fermenting bucket with a lid, bung and airlock. The airlock is not bubbling although it seems like fermentation is taking place.

I suspect that the lid is not sealing airtight and now my question: " Do I need an airtight seal on the bucket during the fermentation period". If I do, how do I get the lid to seal airtight on the bucket.

Regards

Steph

er make sure the lid is the right size for the bucket !
You MUST have a good seal, if the Co2 is escaping from some place other than the air lock then air can go the other way in a potential spoil your brew.
Try covering the bucket with cling film before fitting your lid back on.
All fermenting buckets sold with lids should make a perfect seal.

Codswallop!

Fermenting buckets rarely seem to have gastight lids, so the CO2 will often escape through any small crack. The head of gas being produced will protect the brew, and some beers are even fermented in open vats.

This question has been posted under winemaking, but I would still say that as long as any gap is smaller than a fruit fly, no problem exists unless you're taking the lid off every five minutes. Leave it alone until you're ready to strain or rack it.

Agree with Moley. Why did you change to a bucket when it would look like you already had a good fermenter? And welcome to the forum BTW. :cheers:

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies. I checked the progress with the hydrometer and it is fermenting very well. I also inspected the lid of my fermenting bucket and if closed properly (and I mean properly) I got the airlock bubbling. This indicates to me that I had not fitted the lid to perform an airtight seal.

Reason I changed to a bucket is that I had a winekit, for SWMBO fermenting its way in the fermenter and trust me, you don't mess around with HER wine...... :drink:

The primary likes to get some air in to the must. I put my lid on and leave it loose then cover with a towel and rubber band to keep in place and keep the flies out of the mix. The only reason I even use the lid is to keep the towel from sagging into the liquid or foam. I like to slide it over to one side to make at least a one inch wide gap. Mike

Latest posts

Back