Bulldog, Evil Dog Double IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATE!

Just racked this into another fv for a day clearing with alekleer before priming and bottling. Reading is now 1.004! That's going to be nearly 10%... Like others have said it doesn't taste too strong and is pleasantly hoppy so looking forward to seeing how it clears and conditions....

I dropped by my local home brew shop today and sure enough they stock this kit. I think it might be my next "Special Brew" after I do the Hammer of Thor lager.

Hello all happy Christmas & New year... I got this kit for Christmas and going to get it on as soon as I've got space .I've only ever done the 1 can kits where you add sugar/dme so sorry for the newbie question ,I don't need to add anything to this kit ?.cheers ,I don't want get this one wrong looks lush.

sometime said:
Hello all happy Christmas & New year... I got this kit for Christmas and going to get it on as soon as I've got space .I've only ever done the 1 can kits where you add sugar/dme so sorry for the newbie question ,I don't need to add anything to this kit ?.cheers ,I don't want get this one wrong looks lush.

Nope doesn't need any extras it is all in the box :cheers:

mattyhall22 said:
sometime said:

Nope doesn't need any extras it is all in the box :cheers:
Ok thanks ,ju :thumb: st wasn't sure .

So I've just put this on today and quite excited my starting gravity is 1060

i have however brewed it far longer as didnt want it too high and would prefer the extra beer! :drink:

Lets hope I've done the right thing :wha:

will be putting the hops in early too

Just started my FV with this today, and took a few pics with no particular plan.

Outside of the bag of wort I got a massive sachet of yeast and these sachets of hops (no idea what to do with them yet)
67Sq9.jpg

I heated the bag of wort up while sanitising my equipment
qPFHY.jpg

and the SG came out roughly 1060 - 1061 when diluted to 23 litres, which is exactly what it says it should be on the package (no idea how other people were getting 1070+?)
SLvQD.jpg

have you checked you Hydrometer in Water? sounds a bit low to me at 23ltrs. That or you didnt stirr enough before measuring?

Hulpy said:
have you checked you Hydrometer in Water? sounds a bit low to me at 23ltrs. That or you didnt stirr enough before measuring?

I haven't actually tested my hydrometer in water yet, I'll give that a go when I get home. In terms of stirring, I positively molested the wort to get it oxidated, then continued to stir as the extra water was added. I did all the necessary washing out the remaining wort in the bag etc as well. The only thing I can think of is that by 23 litres when I tested the temperature had fallen to be about 17c (I let it sit for a few hours afterwards before pitching), but I would assume that's closer to most hydrometer calibrations than higher temps.

Hulpy said:

You were right, if I'm doing this correctly the hydrometer is reading about 0.998 in tap water at room temperature (left the water for an hour or so). I'm guessing this won't make a difference to the ABV I've figured out for my other brews since it will have been skewed on both OG and FG?

sdcp0.jpg

Not quite sure i think the maths is linear so you should be okay based on the difference but don't forget to take into account the extra at the end

ie you may still have some further to go

IMAG0645_zpsu8lfgoby.jpg

So target destination reached 1008 after a week happy with that.

Now my next step is unknown I'm considering racking to a second FV then adding youngs beer finings

However ive never used beer finings before should i cap off with a bung or leave the airlock in place before bottling? And do i leave in warmth for clearing or cold?

Thoughts appreciated

Looks good Hulpy, nice and golden as well - I think mine looked a bit darker, but I haven't seen it since I pitched as the FV is opaque.

Got to say smells lovely even at this stage, obligatory testing of the hydrometer vase says this will be a lovely summer beer.

Shame it won't last that long :rofl:

Day 6 it is still bubbling about once every 10 seconds. What do we recommend doing with the hops, is it just a case of adding them to the FV once fermentation appears to have died down a bit?

I've only used one packet, of hopps but thats because im not mad about too much hopps the later you add them the hoppier it is. I added mine after day 3

Hi all, new to the forum, but have been following this with a little interest......
Mine is now bottled and conditioning, I took the option of late hopping and added the two 'hopbags' when I racked to secondary after about ten days, where it spent another ten before bottling. Final gravity came in at 1.004. I cracked a bottle after a week, purely for 'benchmarking' purposes.
To be honest, although it's on the young side, and a lot paler than I'd bargained for, it is full of fresh hop flavour and ticks a lot of boxes, I can see it being a big hit all round.....................on the basis of which kit # 2 will be going on in the near future, I can see the first batch not hanging around too long :cheers:

I think they have cleary been very generous with 7.1% abv on this kit. I've brewed to at least 25litres and have readings coming in at 6.9%

Mine has been racked and is clearing with a bung at room tempreture since saturday 11/01/14

It is surprisingly pale but does smell great. Although at £25 it seems expensive you do get value for money with whats in the box and its very rare you don't have to add anything to achieve the desired taste/ body or aroma, certainly at these strengths!

will definitely buy again.

Just Need to Design my Evil dog labels (based on the info on the box) which I will post on here and pdf and email to anyone who is interested.

Latest posts

Back