Bulldog, Evil Dog Double IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just brewed this, by far the easiest kit I have done, having only done one can kits before. Well worth the price in my opinion. Got an OG of 1065. So should be looking at around the stated ABV. Going to put the hops in quite late as I love my beers really hoppy.

First post on this site :clap:
I have just ordered this, should be here saturday. It looks a beast, can't wait to get it started!!

I started this kit 17 days ago. As others have said, it took about a day and a half to really get going. All has been fine and at the weekend I added the hops and checked the SG which was 1.010.
The kit is still bubbling about once every minute or so. My question is, I'm about to go away for a week and so after today I won't get a chance to bottle it. Do you think I should wait until I get back or bottle tonight?

I just had a pint of this tonight, and I think it tastes great.

Started the kit on 14 Jan, in primary for 12 days, then racked into secondary for another 9 days, then bottled with 110g priming sugar in the full 23L. It's been a mere 9 days in the bottle and it tastes great - really hoppy and quite unlike anything else I've drunk.

This was only my third beer kit, and I think each brew has been better than the last. Whispering Wheat is nice, but a little thin because I followed the instructions to the letter (1 can plus 1kg brewing sugar, 23L brew length) before I started reading posts on here; St Peter's Ruby is great and I brewed it slightly short at 21L; and now the Evil Dog IPA tastes fantastic with no mods to the instructions (well, except that I forgot about the hops, so I added them only a few days before bottling).

I'm thinking about going BIAB soon, but I've got a few more kits to get through first. This brewing lark is addictive isn't it :-)

This looks and sounds great. Getting my diabolo on tomorrow and once primary is done on that I will start this one. Tough decision which to do first but the diabolo will need a good while in bottles and I can stick this in the barrel. Just have to get the last third of my wherry supped now to make some space. ..

Just have to get the last third of my wherry supped now to make some space. ..[/quote]

This home brewing is turning us all into alcoholics.

:rofl: :drink:

Just had my 1st bottle after 3 1/2 weeks conditioning. Its really good quality but doesn't taste anything like I expected.
Its not as hoppy as my razorback IPA but is much smoother and crisp almost like a strong hopped lager. It tastes more like 5.6% than the 7.2 odd that it is. Tastes good though even this young, was just expecting a bigger flavor

Started one of these off myself today. Really does look an excellent quality kit. I brewed to 24 litres. Og is 1.060 so of it goes as low as others on this thread it should be pretty much exactly what it says on the box percentage wise.

Already getting lots of mates volunteer to be chief taster!

:cheers:

Just took delivery of this kit. Everything said above persuaded me, sounds right up my street. Thanks guys. :cheers:

Best to bottle condition by the sound of it, imagine that a few months would be best. Anyone managed to keep some bottles that long and taste?

sqrson said:
I added my hop teabags to the FV after leaving them in a glass of boiling water for 30 mins yesterday (which was day 7 in FV). Now every time my airlock burps (and it is still bubbling every 10 secs on day 8) I get a big whiff of the hops. I'm no ale connoisseur and don't actually know if I like hoppiness yet or not - but I just hope the finished product tastes different to what it smells like at the minute...
IOMMICK, did you stir the wort afterwards or just let them soak? I cannot get an answer to that, istruction say to stir vigorously to aerate, but some people say this can actually oxidize the beer..

I just let it soak for about a week or so and it came out very hoppy, and is the tastiest beer I've done yet.

I cannot wait to get it started too. Was going to do it over the weekend, but mrs booked us a weekend trip so will have to wait. On the bright side - will have a Wychwood brewery tour on the way so cannot moan :)

Day off work so the evil dog is about to start. Morning spent sanitising so far. Malt bag in hot water now. Can't wait to try this one. Will probably hop quite late on.

Brewed a touch short so I didn't have to open another 5 litre bottle of water - weighed in at 1067 so hoping it will get down to 1008 :drink:

Nice light colour, sprinkled the big yeast sachet on top - I have been mixing yeast with water in my last 2 brews but hopefully this should set off soon. It's sat in the garage at 22 degrees.

Quick question on this as someone lacking experience: Has anyone racked this to secondary for any length of time and if so - when would you add the hops? I want it hoppy and was going to add a couple of days prior to bottling as per instructions. If I do go with a secondary to try and clear it, would I add the hops towards the end of that or should I not mess around and just follow orders! Thanks in advance...

if doing secondary hold hops till then. i never do secondary. brewed this over new year. added hops 4 days before bottling. turns out crystal clear .. almost lager color .. taste is like a hoppy lager... if you ever tasted harringtons strong lager from NZ its very similar. super clean for an ale , kind of lemon sherbet/ sorbet hop flavour. easy drinker hard hitter. definitly know you were at it the morning after. great bang for your buck. i will age mine till summer as it is so clean its a summer thing.

Thanks oconn. Haven't decided decided which way to go yet. Will have a look after ten days and decided whether to rack again or bottle after adding hops for last few days.

Two weeks at 20 degrees and it's still bubbling away. Looks like bottling will be next weekend then!

Just bottled and kegged this after 14 days in primary and 8 days in secondary. One question has this been cleared naturally for anyone without finings?
hare2e2a.jpg

Just need to wait to drink it now!

Latest posts

Back