Bulldog Four finger Jack American Pale ale.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the tip, dbg. I dry hopped in an extra 30 g of Columbus hops to give it some Zing this morning. Still casting tomorrow.

hi all. only my 2nd brew. 1st which i'm yet to try(festival lanlords)came with it's own priming sugar.is wilkos brewing sugar ok.? been bubbling away for for 8 days now and the recipe says keg after 2 weeks with the hop tea 2 days before. shall i just leave till it's stopped fermenting then add the hops . dry hopped the lanlords and had no probs with bits or syphoning so would anyone recommend this again. not sure of the outcome if added the hops and still fermented for another week.had a newbie cheeky peak on sunday after a week and it smelt really good.cheers

Had my first bottle tonight after 2 weeks in the bottle. Nice carbonation & head, still has the taste of pineapple cubes but not too bad. All bottles now going out of the house to the garage & I expect the tastes to mature until Xmas, especially after what people here & other forums say.

I do question though whether the taste I sample which doesn't sit well on my palette is more to do with not rinsing the chlorine based cleaner as much as I should of?

So been in the pressure barrel a week just a word of warning the instructions say prime with 150grms sugar after a failed carbonation of a St Peter's ale I wanted bubbles so added 130grms (still seems high) cue leaky barrel tap!!!!

Sample bottle I did looks very clear and may take a small sample from the barrel this weekend before moving somewhere cooler

Another week wait so another bottle. Carbonation is fierce to begin with & it retains a good head. Still not sure about the taste but it's less offensive with age. My wife seemed to like it apart from the fizziness. Xmas party next week so will see how much gets drunk

Mines finished its 2 weeks in the cold but I've already had a few. Taste is good but a little to Much carbonation for me, no matter how carefully I pour it fizzes up and I get a massive head.

Just tasted another glass and it's ok but not hoppy enough for me, I wish I had dry hopped a load of citra or simcoe or both and this would then be a great beer! In my view sadly lacking something!!! Taste similar to evil twin brewery's APA though!!

Firstly hi guys I'm new to this my first home brew is four finger jack
I'm a bit confused at step 6&7 6 days leave 8-10 days to ferment step 7 days after 4-7 days add hood is that 4-7 days from start or 4-7 days after the 8-10 days fermentation
Sorry if this sounds silly just I've never done one before

Started this yesterday afternoon.

Followed instructions to the letter, although I worry the 1-2 minutes of stirring wasn't enough.

My OG was nowhere near the ones mentioned here either!

Anyway, woke up during the night and it was bubbling away frantically. Still going this morning at a 25 degree temp.

My next question relates to the tea-bagging of hops. As a novice, I assume this is done in the little 'washing machine' filter bag that I have. Or not?

I have a keg and plan to use that. However, I have a couple of Ikea flip bottle lids. Is it advisable to split the batch and if so, what would be the best way of doing this?

Any help or advice would be appreciated. This is only my second brew, so slightly apprehensive.

Just brewed this one. Yes, leave the hops in the bags and just stick them in a couple of days before bottling.

I bottled some and put the rest half in 5 litre mini-kegs. I would say rack it to another FV and add your priming sugar before bottling/kegging, just because I misread the instructions and added too much sugar to the kegs.

It turned out well in the end though - not a bad brew :)

I bottled some and put the rest half in 5 litre mini-kegs. I would say rack it to another FV and add your priming sugar before bottling/kegging, just because I misread the instructions and added too much sugar to the kegs.

It turned out well in the end though - not a bad brew :)

Did it not froth up too much doing it that way? Or did you sugar the keg and bottles seperately?

I added carbonation drops to the bottles, but put brewing sugar in the kegs. And yes the kegs got a bit lively!

If you mix the sugar in some warm water - about 500ml and add it to the 2nd FV then it should be ok. I've done it with a turbo cider I made recently and it was a easier. I also found by using a 2nd FV you get a lot less sediment in your bottles/kegs.

Thanks for the tips. May give that a go!

Was keen on splitting, to see what the differences in quality were.

Sounds like the method I may use.

Hello.
Not done a brew for quite a while now. The last one I completely screwed up but not getting my sums right and adding too much sugar when bottling, so kind of put me off for a while. I've had brews that weren't all that but still managed to drink them but this was just undrinkable froth.
Also been getting into the American I.P.A's lately and never found any kits of that kind. So really excited to see the Four Finger Jack pop up in an email.
So I've ordered one, gonna clean all the kit out and start brewing again (if I can remember how).
Can't wait, back on the forum again too.

Cheers!

:drink:

Hi there
Just picked up this kit, looks well packed and the easy to follow. Just reading posts on here interested in thoughts on best Temp to ferment at, is a secondary required (I don't have one but it's a huge yeast packet!)

Also lots of ppl getting a high ABV should I brew to 23 then? Any other suggestions welcome want to start this on the weekend.

Just started this one going today. As it's only my third home brew I hope it comes out ok, it sounds like it's a decent one from what people have said on here

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Started this 2 day's ago , added 250 gr light maltpowder and about 500 gr dextrose, boiled the hops that came with this kit for 60 min to bitterhop (it should be around 85 ibu then) , sg was 1065 !! (Don't know how much abv this would make) , i am going to dry hop 3 days before bottle'ing with combo of 2 or 3 hops (80 gr in total). Any tips?? :-)

I'm looking to bottle this kit in the next few days and wondering can someone tell me the correct amount of sugar to add for batch priming please??

The instructions just telling me 1 carbonation drop or tablespoon of sugar and no amount for batch priming..

If someone knows it would be great.. Thanks

Back