Shelf life of a cider/beer in a plastic keg.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welshspud

Reaction score
Wonder if someone can help?
I've currently got a mixed fruit cider (from a tin kit)fermenting in the spare room, which will be ready to bottle/keg this weekend.

I've specially brewed this for a few birthdays coming up in March/April/May.
I'm looking to keg it in a black plastic pressure keg, which I do have the adaptor to add CO2 through the top.
Can someone tell me how long this will last in the keg firstly untouched? (im guessing this is called untapped)
And secondly, how long will in last once you start drinking? (tapped) Will I need to drink it within a few days etc?

Another question, thinking about it, when do you need to add the C02?

Cheers

it should be ok for as long as it takes to drink it mate. as long as you have some pressure (co2) in, it will not go "off" and you inject co2 when the cider pouring slows down, whatever you do, dont let air get glugged back into the keg.

Ok thanks for ur help.
How do u stop the barrel from glugging in air?
Once that starts, does that mean add more co2?

Welshspud said:
Ok thanks for ur help.
How do u stop the barrel from glugging in air?
Once that starts, does that mean add more co2?
You will know if the pressure is low and it will come out of the tap slower before it starts to glug. Maybe about the halfway point (depending on amount of priming sugar used). If you let it glug you may have a problem with shelf life.

Back