Wilko Sweet Newkie Brown

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andysbrew

Regular.
Reaction score
Got this kit in the Wilko sale, can't find many reviews on this one in the review kits section, was thinking of brewing slightly short and adding dark spraymalt with some sugar, recently did a Youngs Definitive Lager kit with just household sugar and brewed to 23 litres, it tastes ok and came out at about 4.8 % but it is slightly thin and watery but still drinkable, but think I got away with it being a lager style kit, but maybe wouldn't get away with it with a Sweet Newkie Brown.

Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

Got this kit in the Wilko sale, can't find many reviews on this one in the review kits section, was thinking of brewing slightly short and adding dark spraymalt with some sugar, recently did a Youngs Definitive Lager kit with just household sugar and brewed to 23 litres, it tastes ok and came out at about 4.8 % but it is slightly thin and watery but still drinkable, but think I got away with it being a lager style kit, but maybe wouldn't get away with it with a Sweet Newkie Brown.

Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.
Hello Andy.
I'm only a beginner at beer brewing but I thought I would respond to your post.
I've just done the kit you mention after taking advantage of the sale price.
I used brewing sugar and followed the instructions to the letter including the water content.

It's been about a week now since I conditioned it having used coopers PET. bottles.

Last night my curiosity overcame me and I opened one to give it a try.
My inexpert opinion is that it is quite drinkable and I'm sure it will improve if I leave it for a proper length of time.

It had a nice flavour but if I did it again I think I would follow your thinking and use spray malt. Also like you are thinking I would probably reduce the water a little. I'm not too bothered about really strong beer but my thoughts on this brew are that it doesn't (on first impressions) seem very strong.
I've got an hydrometer and really must take the time to measure the before and after readings.
Anyway I hope yours goes well when you get it completed. I must say for less than £10 due to the sale and just a little effort. I think it's a real bargain.
Best regards Brian

Thanks for taking the time to reply Brian. The Lager I did is perfectly drinkable but slightly lacking in mouthfeel and just feels a bit watery, I'm a newbie also and being as I'm only starting out I have been brewing to the letter, not wanting to run before I can walk. Sometimes you have to approach it with a lets have a go attitude and 9/10 times you will brew a drinkable beer, that's my theory behind it anyway.

Cheers

Andy

Andy I have done about 30 or 40 kits and only 2 haven't been any good,both times my fault,heat and wrong hops added at the wrong time.
Most kits are foolproof and even if you stray from the instructions they will still be good sometimes better !
Coopers kits are very reliable and the new Youngs kits are hard to beat.
Keep brewing mate and enjoy a very rewarding hobby :hat:

Hi Andy, in my opinion all the Wilko beer kits are pretty good, I found the best method is to do them as per instructions first then tweek the next ones. the sweet newkie brown is cracking brewed silghtly short 18-20lt and using just brewing sugar. the wilko ciders are another story though, with a very chemical taste to them.

Ordered some dark spraymalt last night, think I'll brew to 20 litres with 500g dark spraymalt and 500g sugar, should make a half decent pint.

this was my first ever brew - i followed the instructions, not knowing any better. it was pish! if doing again, i would definitely use brewing sugar and/or medium malt. and possibly brew short (18-20L), as i found it was lacking in flavour and depth. maybe some molasses would benefit the darker taste too.

Long time (15 years ) , beer kit brewer here.

IMO there is nothing that will improve a beer kit more than using malt instead of brewing sugar. There really is no comparison in quality

Long time (15 years ) , beer kit brewer here.

IMO there is nothing that will improve a beer kit more than using malt instead of brewing sugar. There really is no comparison in quality

Very true mate, recently did a lager kit that I brewed to the full 23 litres and just used normal table sugar, the result was ok but a bit thin and watery, don't want to make the same mistake again.

hi

I also bought this in the recent sale and bottled it in April, brewed slightly short and using only brewing sugar.

I have given some away with good comments and although not a big ale drinker I really like it but it does lack body. The carbonation is really good and the head retention is also good.

I would do this kit again, but would definitely use medium/dark spray malt and increase the sugar amounts a little.

regards

Reading the reviews on this kit about lacking depth of flavour etc, and the comments above I decided to buy 2 tins of this in the recent Wilko's sale. I'm thinking banging both into the one brew (at £7 per tin its like a cheap 2 can kit) with possibly 500g mollasses/treacle/demerara sugar? depending on the OG reading and brewing it to 20L. I hope this could recitfy some of the issues raised, get some more flavour in there, thicken it up and boost the ABV.

Has anyone got any experience of this? Am I just wasting an extra tin that ideally should be put to another brew?

my limited experience of this so far is definately nothing ventured nothing gained!

I am going to brew to about 19 litres and either use 500g sugar and 500g dark spray malt or just use 1kg dark spraymalt. :hmm:

Back