A year in review.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfr42

Landlord.
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone does something similar, but I have some 660ml bottles* which I fill one of each time I'm bottling. My plan is to have one of each of my Brews left at Xmas (to share with my old man if he's up for it) and review my brewing exploits (since May).

Just wondering if anyone else was this sentimental?

* all brewdog so far but have spotted Aldi do 6660ml San Miguel bottles of £1.25

Sounds like a great idea, I would be happy if my lad brought a load of great beer round for 'tasting' at Christmas.

Great idea! That's kind of what I was planning to do too. Unfortunately we had a family BBQ a few weeks back and we drank everything I had ready!
But I'm planning to hide things a bit better from now on.

I'm doing exactly the same thing. I have saved two bottle of each brew and "hidden" them on a shelf in the garage

That's a great idea, not one I'm very good at achieving, but I should put a bottle aside each time as you suggest.

As mentioned in a previous post, I've been doing this since I started homebrewing again back in March. Got around 10 bottles stored away. All kit so far. Seeing as though I've been doing AG for the last couple of brews, (still fermenting). I think it will be very interesting to look back and compare progress.

I save four bottles out of each brew and leave them for four months to taste the beer when it fully matures. It does mean that when I'm brewing every fortnight I have a new beer and and old beer to try every two weeks.

I bottle 6 -7 of each of my 5 gallon brews in 500ml clear bottles, so that I can check progress. To avoid skunking I store them in a dark cupboard in the shed, by Christmas 2014 I had 18 litres of well conditioned beer to share with family and friends, so I’ve decided to repeat for this year.
So far I have 18 bottles in the cupboard as I’ve only brewed 5 times in 2015, one, a Wherry, was so nice I couldn’t keep my hands off it and I drank it all.
From left to right (uphill) Wilko’s Golden Ale (Modified), Hoppy Copper and another Wherry (only in the bottle 13 days.
In the fermenter I have my first AG brew a Timothy Taylor Landlord Style Recipe Kit & next planned a Dave O's Christmas Cracker, & then a Burton Bridge XL Bitter Style Recipe Kit , all from Worcester Hop Shop.
I’m already looking forward to Christmas this year.
It will be very interesting to compare the kits to the A.Gs

1440257724621.jpg

Is there a maximum shelf life for bottled homebrew?

Don't think I'll be brewing much before the spring (unless I can convince SWMBO to let me have a FV inside and out of the shed). Will 9-10 month old beer be ok or past it prime or does just depend on style and a host of other factors?

I found this on the forum.

Well as long as you store them correct standard beer at around 4% should last 12 to 18 months , prob at its best around 4 months ish , but stronger beer will last longer like a 8% may well last a few years, other beers like wheats and wits may only last around 6 months , also more hops tend to help with prolonging shelf life.

Latest posts

Back