BeerCat AG46 BIAB American Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerCat

Landlord.
Reaction score
East and West Grimblestbottom under the rye
Encouraged by some kind remarks yesterday from a friend and enjoying drinking enough of them to give myself a headache have decided to do yet another APA tomorrow.
I wouldn't be doing this yet without this forum as was all too confusing so there you go, big thanks to you all! :cheers:
Have made up the recipe as always so please feel free to give me some advice. :-DBeen reading about Hop Standing so i plan to check the last minute additions in after i finish the boil and cool it to 80c with a few litres of cold water. Or i may not bother and do it normally, depends on the day. Will be using the no chill method, put the FV in the sink for a few hours then onto cold floor.

Recipe is;
AG46 APA
15litres
OG 1057
FG 1014
ABV 5.6%
IBU 42
SRM 10.89

1600g pale malt
1100g munich malt
500g rye
200g cara rye
200g carapils

35g fuggles @60
20g cascade @30
10g citra @1
10g amarillo @1

dry hop 15g of cascade and amarillo
yeast US05 will make a starter from some saved wort

I did say i was gonna use SV33 my next brew but decided to do a lightly hopped smash for er indoors with that instead.
Hopefully will remember to take some pics.

20 minutes into the boil now. Fingers crossed.

20151009_195534.jpg

Fatal mistake. Drinking whilst brewing.:electric:

Definitely i should have my drink in my hand :)

Boiler cut out at about 45m twice so boiled an extra 5, forgot to add the citra as well. All in all fairly normal for me. Misjudged the amount of water by a lot and ended up with only 12l. watered down to 16l and chilled to 30c in 90mins. Will add the starter once its down to 20c tomorrow.

Dry hopped Thursday with 10g of Cascade and Amarillo and bottled today. OG is 1010 which makes it 5%. Normally i would leave it longer but fermentation went of like a rocket and getting short of drinkables.
Sample tastes delicious even if i say so myself. Very hoppy, fruity with a nice bitterness. Cant wait until this is ready. Getting more malt this week so probably do it again with Citra this time if i remember. :drink:

20151018_133230.jpg

Well according to this its 3 weeks old today. Just poured myself a glass and its really delicious even if i say so myself. Nicely cleared with no odd tastes, in fact tastes like it should be drunk now so thats what i am doing. A bit more carb would be good but if this went into a keg wouldn't be a problem. Ive got a cold right now so cant smell much aroma but i will be definitely doing a larger batch of this again soon.

20151029_151205.jpg

Latest posts

Back