Sweet wine problem

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.C

Reaction score
WHi All,

I'm quite new ish to this wine making crack,
Well I've made 25 litres of rhubarb wine, it's been fermenting nicely but then stopped and as its still reading sweet I assumed it must have stuck so I've added some more yeast but it's not doing anything?
Should I try a yeast re-starter sachet?
Any help would be most grateful

Cheers in advance

Brian

Hi cheap brew,

The temps at 22° and I added the extra yeast by adding it to some luke warm water first with a spoon full of sugar in

The very first yeast I used was a rhubard yeast the second one was a high alcohol low foam yeast, can't remember it's name but it was made by the same company,
I've used these types before with no problems so couldn't understand why this is happening now

Hi Tony,

I was always told by the home brew shop to use 3lb sugar to 3lb of fruit, so you reckon I should be using 2.2lb

Definitely! 3lb of sugar alone will pretty much guarantee a sweet wine and 3 lb of fruit will add even more sugar, although rhubarb won't. For example, 1 kilo of sugar plus 3 litres of apple juice in a gallon amounts to 1.3 kilos, which would give a medium sweet wine, so the sugar should be reduced by 300 g to make a dry wine.
Best to use a hydrometer and aim for an initial sg 1090, which should give you a medium dry wine of 12% alcohol. The only way to reduce the sweetness is to make a dry wine and blend the 2. A simple apple wine would do.

Thanks for that Tony its much appreciated, from now on its a kilo per gallon, I'll make a batch of apple wine and use 700 grams is that the right amount of sugar for a dry batch

Latest posts

Back