Halloween beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howyoubrewin

Regular.
Reaction score
It's that time of year again where I want to be thinking about my halloween beer. I will aim to start it at the beginning of September to be ready for October.
I already know I want it to be a rich ruby ale with some pumpkin and maple syrup included somewhere in there. I am thinking on amber LME, medium spray malt, some crystal, caramunich, torrefied wheat and maybe a little chocolate malt. As for hops, I want something that's kind of fruits of the forest in flavour and aroma. I also want to add some spices to it but I don't know what.

Any ideas for the hops and spices I should use?

Azacca might do you pretty well, though it's more tropical.

If it's spice you're after I'd recommend a Belgian yeast strain.
Flamout additions such coriander,black pepper and even rosemary can give a nice spiciness.

Don't go overboard on the rosemary, the local brewery that I give a hand makes a rosemary beer and I'm not a fan.At least not it the quantity it's added. You will find it presents its self as a gingery aroma.

That's interesting with the coriander and rosemary. I will need to have a think about how much of each to drop in a 21l batch. I don't want crazy spice,just a subtle presence.

I think some think like bramling cross hops would work well, see the following description:
Bramling Cross - Alpha 5-7%
Distinctive strong spicy/blackcurrant flavour and good alpha characteristics. A hop of considerable character. It has a strong spicy / blackcurrant flavour and good alpha characteristics. Bramling Cross has now made something of a comeback in traditional cask conditioned beers because of its very distinctive characteristics and has done very well in all styles of beer.

Also a portion of dark crystal or special b would add a nice rich dark fruitiness.

If you're including some pumpkin I reckon a bit of cinnamon, nutmeg or allspice would work well with it.

So my halloween beer recipe is complete and is as follows:
Maple Pumpkin Ale

3.5 kg Amber LME
500g** Dextrose
150g** Maple syrup
1 pumpkin roasted for 1 hr
200g dark crystal malt
300g Vienna malt
Betty crocker pumpkin spice mix
25g bramling cross @ 60 mins
US 05 yeast

Cut pumpkin into cubes and roast in a tray at 180C for 1 hour.
Add pumpkin and grains to 6L water temp 153 for 45 mins. Rinse with sparge water,removegrain bag with pumpkin and bring to boil. Remove from heat and add 1.5kg amber LME and boil, adding hops for 60mins. At flame out add spice pack,remaining LME,dextrose and maple syrup. Bring down to pitching temp and pitch yeast.

I am relying on the pumpkin and spice flavours to give me my up front flavours. A little bitterness is all I am looking for from the hops on this occasion. I may revise that as the brewing takes place but at the moment that's my thinking.

Back