Golden Promise

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin54

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm making a bog standard smash and was wondering if I can swap out some of the Marris Otter for some Goldern promise and will it make and difference? Ta all

I substituted some Maris Otter for Golden Promise at the end of my last brewing season for a pale ale and didn't notice any difference in flavour.... but the mash efficiency was a tad lower. I use Golden Promise for my Scottish Ale brews and never quite manage the mash efficiency as MO... but maybe there are some other variables at play.

I substituted some Maris Otter for Golden Promise at the end of my last brewing season for a pale ale and didn't notice any difference in flavour.... but the mash efficiency was a tad lower. I use Golden Promise for my Scottish Ale brews and never quite manage the mash efficiency as MO... but maybe there are some other variables at play.
What about the other way around...take out some MO and put in GP instead. hope this is all making sense

What about the other way around...take out some MO and put in GP instead. hope this is all making sense

I think that TartanSpecial is saying that there are more sugars extracted from a kilo of Maris Otter than from a kilo of Golden Promise. How fermentable these are is not clear.

The only other thing I could add is that Timothy Taylor Landlord is brewed using 100% Golden Promise and its retiring Head Brewer thinks it makes a difference to the beer he has been brewing for many years.

I think that TartanSpecial is saying that there are more sugars extracted from a kilo of Maris Otter than from a kilo of Golden Promise. How fermentable these are is not clear.

The only other thing I could add is that Timothy Taylor Landlord is brewed using 100% Golden Promise and its retiring Head Brewer thinks it makes a difference to the beer he has been brewing for many years.
OK that make sense, thanks.

Latest posts

Back