Woodford wherry

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jam

Regular.
Reaction score
Why is it that my Woodford wherry brew went flat after 2 months please

You have probably not put in enough priming sugar, and/or kept your beer at fermenting temperature after packaging to allow the yeast to work on the priming sugar
Or..if it is in a PB, your PB has leaked from a seal.
If you used bottles you should have used a minimum of about half a tsp sugar per 500ml bottle or for a standard PB about 90g sugar.

You have probably not put in enough priming sugar, and/or kept your beer at fermenting temperature after packaging to allow the yeast to work on the priming sugar
Or..if it is in a PB, your PB has leaked from a seal.
If you used bottles you should have used a minimum of about half a tsp sugar per 500ml bottle or for a standard PB about 90g sugar.

Cheers thanks

Why is it that my Woodford wherry brew went flat after 2 months please
In addition to the above, if conditioned and stored in a PB, you will need to use 2-3 CO2 gas bulbs at intervals during your consumption to keep up the pressure and maintain the head on the beer. The gradual drop in pressure becomes quite evident as does the impact of the extra blast of CO2 added.

I'm drinking a Wherry at the moment that I primed with 1/4tsp of sugar per 500ml bottle as my last Wherry were all gushers. It's given it a very nice ale carbonation as I find a 1/2tsp per 500ml bottle gives a lager level of carbonation, as to which one I prefer in an ale? The jury's still out. Also, whilst the Wherry is a great beer, it takes forever and a day to come into its own.

I just tried my first Wherry on Friday at 5 weeks in the bottle and it was surprisingly very nice. Best kit I've done to date. I also held back on the priming sugar, using the calculator at the top of this page and aiming for 2.0 volumes CO2. It's just bang on for an ale in my opinion. Mine is in 500ml glass bottles. Happy days :thumb:

In addition to the above, if conditioned and stored in a PB, you will need to use 2-3 CO2 gas bulbs at intervals during your consumption to keep up the pressure and maintain the head on the beer. The gradual drop in pressure becomes quite evident as does the impact of the extra blast of CO2 added.
That's fine if you use CO2 from bulbs or an S30 type cylinder. I don't bother, I just prime at the beginning which usually gets me down to about one third full then I just reprime with slightly less sugar than originally, and off we go again.

That's fine if you use CO2 from bulbs or an S30 type cylinder. I don't bother, I just prime at the beginning which usually gets me down to about one third full then I just reprime with slightly less sugar than originally, and off we go again.
Interesting idea. Not tried that. I think I would be concerned about introducing unwanted infection when unscrewing the lid. The CO2 bottles do the job for me although nearly all my brews are in bottles. The cheap Youngs PB came with my initial kit it would be a shame not to use it.

Interesting idea. Not tried that. I think I would be concerned about introducing unwanted infection when unscrewing the lid. The CO2 bottles do the job for me although nearly all my brews are in bottles. The cheap Youngs PB came with my initial kit it would be a shame not to use it.
I don't bother about 'unwanted infections'.
In the 30 seconds or so that it takes to remove the cap, add the sugar, Starsan the cap and screw the cap back on again the chances of an 'infection' are virtually nil. In fact there's less exposure than the original priming process.

I don't bother about 'unwanted infections'.
In the 30 seconds or so that it takes to remove the cap, add the sugar, Starsan the cap and screw the cap back on again the chances of an 'infection' are virtually nil. In fact there's less exposure than the original priming process.
Ok. Something new to toy with is good. :thumb: does the influx of exygenated air not affect the taste? How long does it take to restore a positive pressure? Is the beer sweeter for the experience?

Does the influx of oxygenated air not affect the taste?
Not at all. In any case the beer is covered by a blanket of CO2. In fact its better than the initial prime when there was air in the PB to start with.

How long does it take to restore a positive pressure?

Depends where you put it to recarb (colder will take longer)
Rule of thumb would be about three to four days to restart slowly drawing beer off. However you may have to allow it to clear again but that depends how much yeast you put in the PB to start with

Is the beer sweeter for the experience?
No since the priming sugar should ferment out. It might be slightly drier to the taste but tbh I have not noticed it.

Really interesting to read this, as I brewed my first WW and used a PB for the first time recently, adding 90g of sugar solution to the keg. Even though I kept it in the warmth to condition for a week or so and the seal appeared to be on really tight, it's completely flat. I was going to get a CO2 canister to give it pressure but is this necessary if I add more sugar? (I've only drawn off 4 / 5 pints from the PB so far)

I used a PB for the first time recently, adding 90g of sugar solution to the keg. Even though I kept it in the warmth to condition for a week or so and the seal appeared to be on really tight, it's completely flat.
If you have flat beer after doing everything right a after week you have got a leak somewhere, probably from the cap seal.
Some tips in here
Guide to a Standard Home Brew Pressure Barrel
My suggestion is to investigate then reprime with say 80g sugar, or use a bulb. If you use latter soapy water usually finds the leaks.

Just enjoying a Seeded home cured ham doorstep with English Mustard and a chilled Woodfords wherry for lunch very nice too.

If you have flat beer after doing everything right a after week you have got a leak somewhere, probably from the cap seal.
Some tips in here
My suggestion is to investigate then reprime with say 80g sugar, or use a bulb. If you use latter soapy water usually finds the leaks.

Thanks. Really helpful advice, including the link.

Of course the first time I used the PB I didn't check it at all; I simply washed and sanitised it. I added a Youngs APA and came down in the morning to find beer leaking from the seal around the tap, which hadn't been fitted properly. I had to emergency bottle it, but in hindsight I could've just resealed the tap by putting the beer on its side and reprimed it a little (I lost some pressure in the finished bottles).

Thanks. Really helpful advice, including the link.

Of course the first time I used the PB I didn't check it at all; I simply washed and sanitised it. I added a Youngs APA and came down in the morning to find beer leaking from the seal around the tap, which hadn't been fitted properly. I had to emergency bottle it, but in hindsight I could've just resealed the tap by putting the beer on its side and reprimed it a little (I lost some pressure in the finished bottles).
you do realise, I trust, that a TRUE NINJA, would never have made this mistake.:mrgreen:

Some tips in here
I checked the seal and resealed with additional petroleum jelly, then added 80g sugar and put in back in the warmth of the kitchen on brew plate. How long do you think I should leave it for before I try some again? It tasted great, so the sooner I can have another pint the better!

I checked the seal and resealed with additional petroleum jelly, then added 80g sugar and put in back in the warmth of the kitchen on brew plate. How long do you think I should leave it for before I try some again? It tasted great, so the sooner I can have another pint the better!
You should start to notice pressure building after a couple of days or so, so sample about then . It should be fully pressurised after a week maybe a bit more. If its still flat you still have a leak.
This is a beer that improves with conditioning and comes good at about 6-8 weeks, so go steady until then to get the benefit.:thumb:

Latest posts

Back