fermenting bucket

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scot_beer

Reaction score
Made my first small starter batch of beer 10l and got the bug. As most tins seem to be for larger size looking to get a 30-33 litre. Cannot decide between one with tap or without and use a syphon.

Any advice on tap or syphon?

Also my smaller kit just had a closed lid. With larger size should I get one with airlock?

Made my first small starter batch of beer 10l and got the bug. As most tins seem to be for larger size looking to get a 30-33 litre. Cannot decide between one with tap or without and use a syphon.

Any advice on tap or syphon?

Also my smaller kit just had a closed lid. With larger size should I get one with airlock?

really you need two buckets ideally three, two sealed buckets with air lock gromit and a bottling bucket, that way you can continually brew and even put your new brews onto yeast thats just had the beer racked off from . look at brew bitz there well cheap , great range and free delivery on £60

I'd go for one with a tap, I have 8 of them and never any problems with the tap, so easy to take samples, something you do quite a lot of when you are starting out! Get a few of them so you can have more than 1 brew on at a time, this way you can afford to let them condition properly without running out of beer!

I was thinking a tap would be easier for bottling using a wand. What was putting me off was how meticulous you need to be with cleaning, do you have to unscrew it every time and if so does all the assembling and disassemblying not tend to cause misfitting and leakages. Would hate for all the beef to pour onto kitchen floor.

I was thinking a tap would be easier for bottling using a wand. What was putting me off was how meticulous you need to be with cleaning, do you have to unscrew it every time and if so does all the assembling and disassemblying not tend to cause misfitting and leakages. Would hate for all the beef to pour onto kitchen floor.
Take the tap out and put it in some cleaner/sterilizer. When I have wort in the FV I wrap the tap in cling film, just as an added precaution

I have a few fermentation buckets some without tap some with tap I only disassemble the taps on rare occasions I do make sure when I sterilise them that the solution gets passed through the tap. I turn the tap on and off slowly when draining the solution from the barrel to make sure its clean and not had a problem so far

Back