Dark & mysterious

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElvisIsBeer

Reaction score
Off work this week and fancied to muck about with a stove top AG of about 6 ltrs or so. No real strategy, other than wanted to try something a little different from my first AG (which was a 100% pale malt).

I was freewheeling a bit, and took no notes. Here's my, sort of recipe:

1.2 kg of Maris Otter
Some Brown Malt
Some Crystal Malt
Some Chocolate Malt

I got 4 ltrs of tap water to 75 degrees and chucked it in and de-clumped it. Lagged it with towels and left it for an hour.

Then I drained the grains.

I heated some water (I dunno �" maybe 4 litres) to 80 degrees, and chucked the grains in again. Left for ten or so, then drained and combined the worty-spargey stuff.

Once boiling I added some Willemette thingys. Boiled for about an hour.
Added some Cascadey things and a bit of a whirlyfloc. Boiled for 5 mins more.

Cooled it in the kitchen-based heat-exchanger.

OG was 1.075. I topped up with about a litre to make it about 6. Didn't check again. But assuming it'll have gone down to 1.062 or summat.

Pitched and washed up. Who know's how it will turn out, but I bloody enjoyed myself.

I love days like that and had one last week though the wort is still in the chill cube at 15° in the fridge and yeast to be pitched tomorrow as I'm working nights and I finish in the Morning.
Regardless you'll enjoy it no doubt.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Absolutely. It was relaxed and enjoyable. Even when I cocked up (draining and sieving etc. was a proper chew on) I didn't mind.

Having said that.....I'm putting pennies aside for a BIAB system....and the justification is that it'll get me into the mancave and out of the kitchen.

(-:

Brilliant post Elvis, so many people measure to theNth degree (guilty as charged M'Lud). A bit of this, a bit of that but sticking to the broad principles of a brew, like it, sounds fun, a pound to a penny that it's a cracking beer.

Off work this week and fancied to muck about with a stove top AG of about 6 ltrs or so. No real strategy, other than wanted to try something a little different from my first AG (which was a 100% pale malt).

I was freewheeling a bit, and took no notes. Here's my, sort of recipe:

1.2 kg of Maris Otter
Some Brown Malt
Some Crystal Malt
Some Chocolate Malt

I got 4 ltrs of tap water to 75 degrees and chucked it in and de-clumped it. Lagged it with towels and left it for an hour.

Then I drained the grains.

I heated some water (I dunno �" maybe 4 litres) to 80 degrees, and chucked the grains in again. Left for ten or so, then drained and combined the worty-spargey stuff.

Once boiling I added some Willemette thingys. Boiled for about an hour.
Added some Cascadey things and a bit of a whirlyfloc. Boiled for 5 mins more.

Cooled it in the kitchen-based heat-exchanger.

OG was 1.075. I topped up with about a litre to make it about 6. Didn't check again. But assuming it'll have gone down to 1.062 or summat.

Pitched and washed up. Who know's how it will turn out, but I bloody enjoyed myself.

I also like "some" as a measure. Often it is going to be the amount left and sometimes a "chuck-full" or sometimes even a "what seemed right" sort of an amount.

Welcome to the dark side, Elvis.

Had a peek today. Pretty darn clear. Down to 1.015, so maybe just above 6% abv. Will check in another week.

Sample tasted really good. Not as dark as I'd hoped. Maybe need to see it in a pint glass. :thumb:

Had a peek today. Pretty darn clear. Down to 1.015, so maybe just above 6% abv. Will check in another week.

Sample tasted really good. Not as dark as I'd hoped. Maybe need to see it in a pint glass. :thumb:

My last beer turned out nice and dark, but I used Plenty of chocolate malt, not just Some

9 bottles bottled - FG of 1.012

Assuming OG of 1,062, around 6.5% (felt about right).

Fingers crossed it settles & clears nicely.

Back