Percentage of Rye to use?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK folks I've just s heap of different grains and included with them is a pack of rye. I really like rye beers, but I'm unsure of how much rye to use in the grain bill.
So over to you folks, how much would you recommend? As in how much is too much or too little?

I have just started to use rye myself. Did a Ghost Ship 'type brew' with 5% and have since done a black rye ipa with a mix of rye malt and flaked rye of 15% with a touch of choc rye slung in as well and a hoppy rye ipa with 16% rye malt in. All three were good brews and i have become a fan of it. Will do some more brews and up the amounts as i go to around 25% and see how i like those.
I did a swap with someone on here recently who liked my hoppy rye ipa but felt the rye could be upped somewhat!

I'm like @chub1 , I love rye in beers and I've done it at 20% of the grain bill in an IPA. I'm thinking of around 10% in an amber shortly too. It does depend on your process a bit, I'm a BIAB brewer so the gummy texture isn't a problem but if you're sparging you need to be pretty careful as it can stick.

I used at 20% in a rye beer hopped with amarillo and it was lovely. Had some problems with the sparge getting gummed up though. ....

Most I've used is 25% in a saison and it was one of my best ever beers, scored 44 in a competition. The flavour of rye works really well with the spicy saison yeast. Some oat husks in the mash helps with run off.

Most I've used is 25% in a saison and it was one of my best ever beers, scored 44 in a competition. The flavour of rye works really well with the spicy saison yeast. Some oat husks in the mash helps with run off.

My Brett Saison had about 22% rye in it.

You need to be aware of how tricky your sparge will become with higher percentage rye content.

You also need to think about how you balance that spicy flavour from the rye with hops or other speciality malts.

I’ve just tried the new BD beer “slot machine” and that really does not balance the rye with anything. Horrible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've only used rye a few times but one thing I've noticed is that on every occasion the wort has really stuck to the element of my burco boiler and slightly burnt. On each occasion it has gummed it up so much that the heating switches off for a couple of minutes untill I scrape the element off. I've never had this happen with non-rye brews so I think it might be something specific to rye malt. I regularly use up to 25% wheat malt without a problem.

Bit of a tangent but I thought it was worth mentioning, if you are using an electric boiler.

Back