Grapefruit Smash

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvt_ak

Budding Brewer !
Reaction score
I have a desire to brew.
Keeping it simple.

4kg Maris Otter
Citra 100g
Grapefruit juice 1 litre
Batch size 20 litre
Peco BIAB

Mash at 65’ for 60.
Boil for 60

20g first wort hop
40g at 15
40g when chilled to 70’

1 litre frozen juice at flameout

Chill to 18 and add Gervin Ale yeast.

Ferment at 18 for 2 weeks.

Job done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a desire to brew.
Keeping it simple.

4kg Maris Otter
Citra 100g
Grapefruit juice 1 litre
Batch size 20 litre
Peco BIAB

Mash at 65’ for 60.
Boil for 60

20g first wort hop
40g at 15
40g when chilled to 70’

1 litre frozen juice at flameout

Chill to 18 and add Gervin Ale yeast.

Ferment at 18 for 2 weeks.

Job done.
Sounds tasty. I've had a few Brewdog Elvis Juice, grapefruit IPAs recently. The first time I had one I was pretty underwhelmed but the last few have been lovely and the grapefruit flavour is really distinct. It's not quite made it onto the to-brew-list yet but it might do soon.

I hope yours turns out well.

Sounds tasty. I've had a few Brewdog Elvis Juice, grapefruit IPAs recently. The first time I had one I was pretty underwhelmed but the last few have been lovely and the grapefruit flavour is really distinct. It's not quite made it onto the to-brew-list yet but it might do soon.

I hope yours turns out well.

Cheers matey - wort tasted nice going into brew fridge and the makings of krausen tonight.

Roll on 3 weeks for next tasting .

Well bugger me - all seemed quiet tonight to though I’d check gravity.
Down to 1.010 already !!!
Tastes nice - mellow grapefruit but not packing the punch I hoped.
May dry hop with a 100g citra before bottling next weekend.

Yeah go for it! Finished quickly too. .I'd still leave it another week before dry hopping..
My bipa is getting 4 day dry hop then crashing to around 3 or less for a day or more before bottling.

Looks and sounds like an ideal summer pint!

Just out of interest, pvt_ak, you mentioned you BIAB in a peco. I'm thinking of moving in that direction, do you have some sort of mechanism to stop the bag scorching on the element?

It tastes great with whole grapefruit. A peeler to get the zest, cut off the pith, stick zest and grapefruit flesh in a bag and lob it into the fermenter. It's the zest that makes the difference, flesh or juice produces something quite soft, whereas the zest and a bit of pith attached gives it bite. Only needs two or three for a 20L batch,

I’ll give it a go, will be interesting to compare.

Latest posts

Back