Horizon vs Centennial in a Porter....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Another hops question. I am looking at brewing the Porter from the Palmer book. The recipe is basically:

Pale ale malt 4kg
crystal 60 250g
chocolate 250g
black patent 150g
Horizon 15g @60 (12%)
Willamette 20g @40
Willamette 15g @20

(I've rounded all amounts off as the original recipe is in lbs/ozs and I am not going to **** about measuring 227g of malt or 14g of hops.)

Now to my conundrum... I am amassing a sizeable number of half used hops in the freezer including Willamette but not Horizon. I do have Centennial and no other brews lined up to use it in so was thinking about subbing the Horizon for Centennial.

My Hop Substitution chart shows this:

Centennial - Amarillo, Cascade, Columbus, Summit
Horizon - Magnum

However given that the Horizon is used only for bittering @60 mins and is only 15g and the Alphas are pretty similar (the Centennial I have is 11.2%) and according to the YCH website the other values are not a million miles away I think it will work.

Just wanted to run it past you lot....

Horizon has low cohumulone while centennial (and indeed magnum) has moderate cohumulone, so the bitterness may be a little more snappy, slightly less smooth. Still, centennial isn't exactly chinook levels and given it is only 15g and there is all that chocolate/black/crystal to grab your attention the difference should be very subtle if perceptible at all.

Hi guys,

Another hops question. I am looking at brewing the Porter from the Palmer book. The recipe is basically:

Pale ale malt 4kg
crystal 60 250g
chocolate 250g
black patent 150g
Horizon 15g @60 (12%)
Willamette 20g @40
Willamette 15g @20

Porter is not really a hop forward beer, it is essentially a malt centric type of a beer and the bittering hop could really be anything that gets your IBU's.

35g of Willamette, or Fuggles or Goldings or anything else is really about a subtlety of flavour rather than an essential. I feel you may be over-analysing this essentially not very hoppy recipe.

tried looking everywhere for the maximum amount of black malt that can be used but struggling. anyone know a percentage?I don't want to over do or under do it with this stuff
cheers

Back