Pump recommendation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onefortheroad

Reaction score
I'm currently in the process of setting up my shiny brewery. I wanted to have it set up as one that ran by gravity but i've just realised that height is going to be a problem.
So now i'm going to have to install a pump in between the boiler and mashtun.
Can anyone recommend a reliable pump that is fit for the purpose please? :grin:

I'm in the middle of a build myself and i bought 2 scotsman pumps off cornie norm on e bay for 50 quid each. He doesn't usually have them in stock but if you email him he'll get some for you. I think that's the best you'll get for that kind of money. Vossy (the forum pump expert) will be along soon i'm sure he'll have some words of wisdom for you.

I use a More beer march may pump from the states and it does exactly what I want it to which means it handles boiling liquids.
Norm (of corny fame) can supply Totton pumps which I believe Phil uses and they are also meant to be very good.
I'll be posting a pump review in shortly ;)

Cheers for that guys! I'm afraid my eyes were bigger than my garage when it came to using 100 litre pots for my brewery. I thought i had more space than that!! What i want to Know is. WHY??? No matter how many times I give my garage a good bog out. It always gets cluttered up with **** again a week or so later!! :? :roll:

A T said:
I'm in the middle of a build myself and i bought 2 scotsman pumps off cornie norm on e bay for 50 quid each. He doesn't usually have them in stock but if you email him he'll get some for you. I think that's the best you'll get for that kind of money. Vossy (the forum pump expert) will be along soon i'm sure he'll have some words of wisdom for you.

These Scotsman pumps are actually rebadged Totton GP 20/12's . They're good pumps. I use two of them, one for wort and one for liquor and have done so for 2 years now.

The only down side is that they have a temperature limit of 80C and if you exceed this they make a bloody awfull noise. That said, if you think about your process you probably won't need to go hotter than that anyway.

/Phil.

There is a UK supplier of the March 208 pumps, for just about what you would pay importing one from More Beer (Especially with the way the dollar has gone recently :( )

March May in the UK. can supply the American March 809-PL-HS pump with 230V motor, polysulphone pump head and 1/2" NPT male connections for £85 plus £12.50 P&P plus VAT, so £114.56 inclusive. In stock today. The pricing is cunningly set to be a nadge less than ordering one from Morebeer in the US, which would be about £121 if you have to pay VAT when the parcel arrives.
NB these pumps don't appear on their website!
I spoke to a very nice salesman called Kevin Partt. March May do not have credit card facilities, so you need to send them a cheque and letter.
March May
Eaton Works
Howard Road
St. Neots
Cambridgeshire
PE19 8NZ
01480 21444
[email protected]

Damnit, I just dropped a big chunk of change getting one of those morebeer March pumps and all the assorted fittings.

Latest posts

Back