Youngs Ale Yeast low attenuation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldjiver

Landlord.
Reaction score
I only use two yeasts, Youngs Ale Yeast, and Munton Brewers Gold. I have had the same problem with youngs occasionally, a very high finishing gravity? My latest brew is six days old and stuck on 1020 (OG1048) It was mashed at 66c, everything went normally, Very good krausen. Done the usual e.g. check temp, (20c) stir, wait. I have had this problem before, but Youngs is definitely the best for malty flavour. Has anyone else had problems with youngs?

Try pitching some S-04 or Gervin aka Nottingham that will give you an indication of whether its the yeast or the condition of the wort causing the high finish.

It could be the yeast but equally it could be the wort wasn't properly oxygenated or perhaps you mashed too high, is your thermometer correct?

Was it a 5g sachet? Did you rehydrate? Perhaps you underpitched. Most other dry yeasts come in 11g sachets so I am always suspicious of the smaller packets.

Yes you need two packs of Youngs ale yeast in a full batch. I believe aeration is not necessary with dried yeasts.

Jeltz said:
Try pitching some S-04 or Gervin aka Nottingham that will give you an indication of whether its the yeast or the condition of the wort causing the high finish.

It could be the yeast but equally it could be the wort wasn't properly oxygenated or perhaps you mashed too high, is your thermometer correct?
I believe Muntons is Nottingham rebadged, and although I have never had a problem with it, its not as good for malty flavour as Youngs I have found. I usually get all the details/ temp etc right with my brews, just have a problem with attenuation occasionally with Youngs? Wondered if there are any other Youngs users with similar problems?
( I have 2 glass and 1 digital thermometers that all agree) My IGLOO stays with in 1 degree for 90 minutes, and I give it a good splashing when cold.. And its in a water bath with heater.

oldjiver said:
Jeltz said:

I believe Muntons is Nottingham rebadged, and although I have never had a problem with it, its not as good for malty flavour as Youngs I have found. I usually get all the details/ temp etc right with my brews, just have a problem with attenuation occasionally with Youngs? Wondered if there are any other Youngs users with similar problems?
( I have 2 glass and 1 digital thermometers that all agree) My IGLOO stays with in 1 degree for 90 minutes, and I give it a good splashing when cold.. And its in a water bath with heater.

Its Muntons Gervin G12 which is the Nottingham re-badge.

clibit said:
How much yeast do you pitch and what size batch?
With Youngs its just tip the packet in! The question is really that I get a normal fermentation most of the time doing exactly that. (I do 15 or 20 litre batches, this one is 20). I wondered if any other users of Youngs had the same problem?. Sometimes I make a starter, sometimes I dont. It doesnt seem to make much difference. I put the yeast in after brewing, normally about 1800 hrs and the krausen is well away by morning either way. The fermentation seems fine until (occasionally) with Youngs it stops dead at 1020 whatever the OG.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=51592

By the way I had a similar result when the brew stopped at 1018. Beer was excellent, not sweet but VERY malty. I sent a bottle to calumscott, and he liked it so it must be OK?

"With Youngs its just tip the packet in!"

One packet is not enough, they only hold 5 or 6g. You need two packets, for a 20/25 litre batch.

Latest posts

Back