Leaving treated water overnight

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanshelton

Landlord.
Reaction score
Tomorrow is a double brew day but to shorten the day a bit I want to get a overnight mash on.

I'm using crs for the first time but seeing as I won't be sparging until tomorrow can I heat up and treat all the water and then leave the sparge water until tomorrow and re heat? Or am I better off just scaling the water treatment to suit the amount of water I'll be using tonight?

I would whatever you find better for your own convenience, You will find the liquor you reheat will be better than the original used . Are you going to use camden in your HLT ?. Also what mash ratio are you going to use?.
Happy Brewing :cheers:

I would heat them separately, it seems a waste heating up your sparge water, let it cool then heat it up again. Also your mash liquor will heat quicker without the sparge liquor in it.

Mash ratio: water to grain, e.g. 2.5l per kg of grain

I do 10 gallon brews, the day before I brew I put 1 Camden tablet and fill from my antibacterial hose via a filling tube 62 litres of water injecting CRS halfway through. I leave for a few hours stirring well to mix. I then drain into a 35 litre storage bin. Leaving me plenty of HLT water for the mash. My HLT water is always on a timer so no waiting around calculators on several sites give you times for heating mash water providing you know your element kW. Brewers friend site is ok. I have mashed for over 25 years so I make everything very easy using homemade equipment I have adapted over the years. I could not brew without a 90 minute electronic timer from pound land. Brilliant. I hope you enjoy your brewing. We all have accidents and mistakes let's hope they are rare and small. :thumb:

Just put the mash in the mash tun, i decided to use the 'scale method'. Worked out how much crs i needed per L of water and scaled it that way. Then tommorrow will add the difference to the sparge :thumb:

Latest posts

Back