Irish Red Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clibit

Reaction score
Batch Size (L): 10.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.045
Final Gravity (FG): 1.010
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.60 %
Colour (SRM): 14.5
Bitterness (IBU): 29.2
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

1.700 kg Pale Ale Malt (89.24%)
0.090 kg Caramalt (4.72%)
0.090 kg Crystal 120L/300-340EBC (4.72%)
0.025 kg Roasted Barley (1.31%)

10.0 g Challenger Leaf (9.3% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
2.5 g Irish Moss @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
10.0 g Challenger Leaf (9.3% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)

Mash at 67°C for 60 Minutes.
Ferment at 20°C with White Labs or Wyeast Irish Ale yeast, or US-05

Clibit..Hi,
How did this one turn out? Did the Cyrstal 120L combine with the roast barley give a decent deep red colour? I did an Irish red last year using crystal 80L and a little black malt but is wasn't as red as I wanted (still a little more copper/brown than red.

Going from memory, it was some time ago, it was a deep reddy brown colour.

I'm going to do another red soon, put some crystal rye in it probably, and use different hops, maybe Simcoe, possibly with Fuggles too.

Thanks. I used fuggles in mine...also some torrified wheat and some flaked barley to add a bit of body. Next time I will probably use liquid yeast maybe WLP028 Edinburgh strain...am hoping that will add the extra dimension that was lacking from the previous brew. I mastered (maybe too strong a word ) the basics of all grain brewing last season (I brew October to May) using dried yeasts and am now ready to move up the learning curve and have a go with liquid yeasts.

I'm widening my yeast scope too. From what I've read about the Edinburgh strain it will be good for this brew. Or Wyeast 1728.

Back