Gout.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a bottle of Argentinian Malbec yesterday. Not my usual tipple but a friend recommended it. Last glass of it was full of long crystals, and quite a lot still in the bottle. Not a good sign. :-? - What are they?

There was one cheap bottle of white wine from Lidl that almost put my OH in hospital, with myself being a close second. No reaction to wines usually, but she went bright red with a quickly spreading rash and me likewise but not as bad after only a glass each. It had a ship on the bottle so now I don't drink white wine anymore.

Trying to avoid gout if possible and I like the idea of 2 dry days where I drink more water instead on those days - for medicinal purposes only you understand :grin:

With regard to the crystals here is the answer:

http://www.wineofthemonthclub.com/category/sediment-and-tartrate-crystals

With regard to the sudden reaction to a drink, it could be that both you and your OH are allergic (or have developed and allergy) to sulphites.

That people can develop an allergy to sulphites is the reason why almost every bottle of cheap (and not so cheap) wine has the warning "Contains sulphites." on it.

In home wine making people often introduce Campden Tablets (potassium or sodium metabisulfite) at the end of fermentation to prevent the wine from spoiling; although it isn't strictly necessary as perfect sanitation will accomplish the same result.

Hope this helps. :thumb:

I would say it's because commercial companies try to make as much money as possible so they use chemicals to extract as much juice as possible then use yeast that will ferment quick so they can get the next load on then they use chemicals to clear the wine as that is quicker than just waiting so if you want good wine you have to pay a lot of money or brew your own

A, I think your doc is over prescribing allipurinal to start off without finding the levels of the uric acid in your blood first and B,you shouldn't take allopurinol if gout flares up as it makes it worse, read note 2 on the leaflet that comes with them,you should be on anti inflammatorys first then allipurinal after it subsides,I've had the damn problem for 10 years and the doc prescribes me 300 miligram tablets which I break in half and take half a tablet a day leaving them off the weekend and from someone who had it quite bad its enough of the drug for me to keep it at bay

Yes Godsdog the doctor prescribed as above pretty much described above colchicine 500mg 3 times a day to get rid of this episode followed by 10-14 days taking nothing then start (I need a blood test in this period) then 1 x 300mg allopurinol (after food) long term and the colchicine 500mg 3 times a day for the remainder of the 3 month course, apparently allopurinol on its own initially can bring on an attack, apologies about my earlier quotes being incorrect the doctor deliberated and switched things about a fair bit but did write all the instructions down, "thank god".

One on my clients was diagnosed with gout and drinking more water was advised.

I already drink quite a large amount of water, that said I have also upped this and stopped drinking tea & coffee through the day after my morning tea (thats an absolute must have), substituting with water.

I reccommend getting an app on your phone for hydration..

I did about 18 months ago it kepts reminding me and now I find I drink a lot more water (to be honest I use normal drinks like tea too) esepcially at work..

FInd myself going to the toilet a lot more but I do find it helps and does have benefits.

I reccommend getting an app on your phone for hydration.

I did have one of those and it did remind me to drink more water, but I removed it because it seemed like it was making it a challenge as to how much I should drink and generally becoming more of an annoyance, and maybe should look at getting a different one.

2 months on, I am still getting attacks and they seem to be getting worse and migrating from the original area, subsequent attacks have been same joint right big toe then on the second joint on the same right toe, yesterday was on my feet all day (worker on my PID boiler automation) when I had finished I had pain in my left heal, I put this down to being on my feet all day.

I woke up 3am this morning with severe pain in my heal, arch and the top of my foot and ankle. I started to take the Colchicine (different schedule to what was originally prescribed on advice of my own Doctor and not the Locum) 2 tablets straight away followed by 1 every 4 hours until either 12 are taken or you get diarrhea, just taken my 4th dose (5th tablet) and the pain is easing. Has anyone else had similar experiences? How long does the Allopurinol take to kerb this completely, or does it ever kerb it completely?

Has anyone had any joy with Cherry juice, how much do you drink etc?

I cannot answer your question but i would like to let members know something i recently found after a heavy weekend on the beer.

I recently got into drinking beer (as opposed to lager) when my son got a hobgoblin keg, i had a pint and although not completely blown away it made me realise as a lager drinker i was missing out, i then started to buy bottles of beer in the 3 for £5 section of Bargain Booze, the first weekend when i had several pints of different beer lead to me getting an attack of gout in the same big toe i had it in years ago when i used to drink a fair amount of supermarket cheap white wine at the weekend, this may be a total coincidence but i have not had an attack of gout in 3 years since make my own wines and not buying cheap supermarket wine, this leads me to the question is there something in commercial beers and wines that could cause this when drinking a fair amount of it in a short time (read binge drinking at the weekend)

How long have you been taking the allopurinol? I started last October. Two 100mg a day and two colchicine 500 micro g a day. Was told by the doctor that I would more than likely have a attack in the first 6-9 months of starting the allopurinol, that's why he prescribed the colchicine for that period. I've had one attack a few weeks ago since last October. That was due to mushrooms, sounds daft. I drink way more than I should really, odd times if I drink a lot of beer I can feel it slightly, but not a full on attack. But mushrooms and prawns are the main cause when I get an attack.

How long have you been taking the allopurinol?

A little over 2 months, the Locum said take 1 Allopurinol 300mg a day & 3 Colchicine 500mcg a day for 3 months, on review after the blood test my own doctor said he prefered the same Allopurinol but only take the Colchicine if a attack occurred as previously described.

I also drink more than current recommendations but not excessively so, yesterday I had a bowl of Game Soup and probably did not drink as much water as I usually do due to being busy, in the evening I had a couple of pints, the attack had already started but I had not picked up on it being such and had attributed it to being on my feet all day.

2 months on, I am still getting attacks and they seem to be getting worse and migrating from the original area, subsequent attacks have been same joint right big toe then on the second joint on the same right toe, yesterday was on my feet all day (worker on my PID boiler automation) when I had finished I had pain in my left heal, I put this down to being on my feet all day.

I woke up 3am this morning with severe pain in my heal, arch and the top of my foot and ankle. I started to take the Colchicine (different schedule to what was originally prescribed on advice of my own Doctor and not the Locum) 2 tablets straight away followed by 1 every 4 hours until either 12 are taken or you get diarrhea, just taken my 4th dose (5th tablet) and the pain is easing. Has anyone else had similar experiences? How long does the Allopurinol take to kerb this completely, or does it ever kerb it completely?

Has anyone had any joy with Cherry juice, how much do you drink etc?
Sure you haven't got planter fascitous( policeman's/postmans heel?)Had that too and hits you in the heel and instep and can hang about for months

Sure you haven't got planter fascitous( policeman's/postmans heel?)Had that too and hits you in the heel and instep and can hang about for months

I am not really one for self diagnosing, the Colchicine has taken worst of the pain away, I will keep up taking it until I get to the 12 or the other occurs.

Blood pressure taken,

Are you feeling ok Mr brumbrew?

I feel fine

No headaches or anything?

No

Well your Blood pressure is sky high.

Well I did cycle here.

Ok come back first thing in the morning. (I live 2 mins away - downhill)

Oh by the way, apart from my sore throat my big toe hurts, explains homebrew obsession.

Could be the cause, but high blood pressure also won't help.

Just my experience.

Kicking cheap wine and overly cloudy beer to the kerb did the trick, as did less salt and more water.

So must be a mix, it takes all sorts to make a world....

I would agree on the cloudy beer and drinking more water. There is a list of gout inducing foods on the NHS site. There are others which contain better actual information, of course.

http://patient.info/health/gout-diet-sheet

Note that the obvious link with brewing yeast is understated.

If you have suffered from gout like symptoms, please don't drink cloudy beer containing yeast.

A little over 2 months, the Locum said take 1 Allopurinol 300mg a day & 3 Colchicine 500mcg a day for 3 months, on review after the blood test my own doctor said he prefered the same Allopurinol but only take the Colchicine if a attack occurred as previously described.

I also drink more than current recommendations but not excessively so, yesterday I had a bowl of Game Soup and probably did not drink as much water as I usually do due to being busy, in the evening I had a couple of pints, the attack had already started but I had not picked up on it being such and had attributed it to being on my feet all day.

Does sound like theres something else going on as well as the Gout - from what I remember it pretty much went away & stayed away when I started taking allopurinol (2x300 for me) & Ive been on it for a couple of years now without any more attacks. They should be able to tell pretty easily if they do a blood test - the trick appears to getting them to request the uric acid test when they submit it.

Does sound like theres something else going on as well as the Gout - from what I remember it pretty much went away & stayed away when I started taking allopurinol (2x300 for me) & Ive been on it for a couple of years now without any more attacks. They should be able to tell pretty easily if they do a blood test - the trick appears to getting them to request the uric acid test when they submit it.
2x300 mg a day? Wow that's a lot of alipurnol and a suspect libido killer.I take 150 mg,half a tablet a day Mon to Thursday and OK with that but I do eat little meat as I live with a vegetarian and eat what she does mostly.meat is purine loaded,and one of the guilty pleasures with gout along with beer

2x300 mg a day? Wow that's a lot of alipurnol and a suspect libido killer.I take 150 mg,half a tablet a day Mon to Thursday and OK with that but I do eat little meat as I live with a vegetarian and eat what she does mostly.meat is purine loaded,and one of the guilty pleasures with gout along with beer
I cant say Ive noticed any side effects at all - unfortunately I had a heart problem about 10 years ago which has left me on various pills to regulate the rhythm & control the hypertension that Ive inherited from both my parents ; those in turn make it more difficult to exercise, so I put on more weight which aggravated the gout & made me generally miserable until I started taking the pills.

Theres a lesson there somewhere about looking after yourself better when you are young, but I doubt I would have listened even if I went back in time & told younger me to stop working stupid hours in the office & get an allotment to dig instead. Not that that would be the message if I had a time machine - it would be "Buy shares in Apple".

I cant say Ive noticed any side effects at all - unfortunately I had a heart problem about 10 years ago which has left me on various pills to regulate the rhythm & control the hypertension that Ive inherited from both my parents ; those in turn make it more difficult to exercise, so I put on more weight which aggravated the gout & made me generally miserable until I started taking the pills.

Theres a lesson there somewhere about looking after yourself better when you are young, but I doubt I would have listened even if I went back in time & told younger me to stop working stupid hours in the office & get an allotment to dig instead. Not that that would be the message if I had a time machine - it would be "Buy shares in Apple".
Not a dissimilar story to me with arythmia.had svt when I hit puberty and stopped me doing any kind of sports,was a decent footballer until then.had it on a regular basis on and off sometimes 2 times a day until I hit my mid forty's then it kicked in and couldn't shift it.long story short,ended up having the Blair burn(ablation) before Blair had it done circa 1996 and pow! it cured me.also have inherited hypertension for which I take losartan,wouldn't describe myself as overweight far from it but have a bit of a beer gut and walk around 15 miles weekly and at 63 not doing too badly.can still quaff the amber nectar as good as the next bloke.lol
Old age though certainly is a bit of a bugger

Fellow sufferer here...
2 x 300mg Allopurinol daily, colchricine as needed.
Also diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis at the same time (which is bloody 'orible!)
Consultant advised me to avoid beer and spirits, but said that cider and wine are ok...
Bit of a bugger, given that I run a homebrew department!!!

I used to get this in my big toe on the right foot not long before i started making home made wine it lasted about a week and was so painful i had to take time off work, i have not had it since, this of course may be just a coincidence.

I dug this old thread up as i was reading about gout and its causes (see quote below) I have noticed since switching from lager to beer i have had gout more frequently yet when i drink wine i do not seem to suffer having read the information below it looks like i will have to take it easy when drinking beer and carry on wine making.

Does Drinking Beer Cause Gout?

The study reported interesting these interesting results:

Compared with non beer drinkers, those who drank two or more servings of beer per day suffered a 2.5 times greater risk of gout.

Compared with non liquor drinkers, those who drank two or more servings of liquor per day suffered a 1.6 times greater risk of gout.

Wine was not associated with an increased risk of gout compared with those who did not drink wine.

Also interesting, the risk grew as servings grew. For example, the risk of gout increased by 49% with each serving of beer per day. The risk of gout was increased by 15% per serving of liquor each day. Because liquor is more alcoholic in beer, researchers concluded that a non-alcoholic factor in beer was the real culprit of the risk.

https://www.hellolife.net/gout/b/does-drinking-beer-cause-gout/

I dug this old thread up as i was reading about gout and its causes (see quote below) I have noticed since switching from lager to beer i have had gout more frequently yet when i drink wine i do not seem to suffer having read the information below it looks like i will have to take it easy when drinking beer and carry on wine making.

Interesting. One of my clients gets gout. I told him to switch from wine to beer as I was under the impression red wine was one of the worst culprits for gout. I guess I'll have to tell him to switch back again :lol:

Back