Do I need extra sugar on top of extract

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sorade

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am about to start my first batch tomorrow. I am using the Young's Amber Ale Kit.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/mku/Youngs-Premium-Ale-Kit-American-Amber-AAA/B00JDOCBU6

They recommend a 23 L batch with 3.1 kg of liquid extract as well as 700g of brewing sugar.

I heard that not adding sugar was better. Should I replace it with pale dry extract instead ? Or can I reduce the volume of the batch ? Say to 21 L ?

Thank you for your advice

use 1kg of medium spray malt or 500g of med spray malt and 300g of brew enhancer personally i would use the spray malt

The youngs kits are great and where I started too.

It's your beer so your welcome to do whatever you want to it, but for your first brew I'd keep it straight especially as it is one of the youngs kits that come with everything (part of their draw to me was they were good to go without deciding what to add).

Malt extract generally improves the body of a beer but it is slightly less fermentable than the brewing sugar provided with the kit.

Your Amber Ale kit comes with all you should need including hopped extract and brewing sugar, which is similar to other kits in the Youngs American range.
Personally first time round I would use what they provide to see what it turns out like, premium kits shouldn't really need any extras, that's why you paid �£25 or thereabouts. If you think you can improve it next time by using something other than the brewing sugar supplied then so be it.
I have done both the AIPA and the American Pale Ale from this range with the stuff provided in the box and they turned out fine, or, in fact, better than fine. :thumb:

Thank you all for your replies,

I'll stick to the recipe then... it's true that unless I make a few mistakes I won't be able to improve on anything :smile:

Did the kit come with extra sugar?

Cheers

Clint

Clint, yes the kit came with 700g of brewing sugar, and that's all the kit's recipe says to add, no need for anything else

As terrym says..the kit is meant to have extra sugar..it's an American style beer..the sugar will dry it out and add abv. I'm drinking the American ipa from the same range which to came with the extra sugar and it's great!
Perhaps you are thinking of the single can kits which only have around 1.5 kg and say to add a kilo of sugar to brew...adding malt or even the beer enhancer product makes nicer beer..

Cheers

Clint

Latest posts

Back