festival suffolk strong ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigd2657

Reaction score
Hi all,

A quick question ive just put on a festival Old Suffolk Strong Ale, it says in the instructions, to rehydrate the yeast, obviously I forgot:oops: so I was wondering will this affect the beer or will it not.

Also have I got another option of getting round this if it is a problem. Does this beer require a long time for conditioning as it says it will be ready to drink after 2 weeks on the packet, and the lady in my LBHS said that we could drink it right away once it has finished fermenting.

Thanks in advance

Big D 2657

Don't worry about the yeast it will hydrate in the wort anyway.

Just can't believe you were told you can drink it so soon, might as well start drinking it as it ferments if that was the case. It will need time to carbonate, clear and condition after fermenting. It takes time. No problem in trying a sample after a week or two after priming just to see how it`s going, but a strong ale will take much longer.

+1 on what Phequit said.

You can drink a beer as soon as it's stop fermenting (I've beem know to dip my glass in the FV) or several years later, and anything in between. However, when its at its best will depend on the beer and most beers benefit from 6-8 weeks conditioning in the bottle/keg before drinking. So by all means try one early on (I usually have an early sample), but you may wish to leave most of them a while.

+1 on what Phequit said.

You can drink a beer as soon as it's stop fermenting (I've beem know to dip my glass in the FV) or several years later, and anything in between. However, when its at its best will depend on the beer and most beers benefit from 6-8 weeks conditioning in the bottle/keg before drinking. So by all means try one early on (I usually have an early sample), but you may wish to leave most of them a while.
Hi Darrellm

Thanks for your advice in the thread, have you brewed this beer yet, and if so are you saying it is okay to drink after 6-8 weeks or do you think I need time to leave the beer longer.

Also is that 6-8 weeks from when I bottle the beer or is that 6-8 weeks from yesterday when I started to make the beer.

Thanks

Big D 2657

Hi Darrellm

Thanks for your advice in the thread, have you brewed this beer yet, and if so are you saying it is okay to drink after 6-8 weeks or do you think I need time to leave the beer longer.

Also is that 6-8 weeks from when I bottle the beer or is that 6-8 weeks from yesterday when I started to make the beer.

Thanks

Big D 2657

I haven't made the same kit you have but when I done the Festival Winter Spice Dark Ale kit it needed the 6-8 weeks to improve the flavour. Most strong or dark beers need at least that long to condition. That's 6-8 weeks from when you bottle it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I brewed that Festival kit in July, ready for Christmas. I like the Festival kits, but some of them don't seem to come good until about 5 months in bottle.

Been a bit scared of making this kit as it sounds like a bit of a monster (i.e. high ABV = hangover), interested to hear how you get on :thumb:

Might do it as a Christmas / Winter project for bottling this year, i.e. start it in the summer so it's got plenty of time to condition.

Latest posts

Back