Malt extract

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rico1973

Reaction score
Hi okay, this is a question why such a price difference in kits, I now some are double malt but what makes some 13.50 to 15 to 25 pound.:doh:

In general you tend to get what you pay for. the more expensive kits are a better quality than the cheaper ones. this is not to say that the cheap ones are not very good. My first kit was a "Youngs Harvest Stout". I bought all the equipment and brewed as per instructions. 8 weeks later, i was gobsmacked, what a excellent beer. i then progressed up to a Wherry, then to a top of the range kit. they were all very good.
Is a expensive kit twice, sometimes three times, as good as a cheap one? ...no
but you can taste the difference

Typically, and to generalise, the cheaper kits contain 1 can/pouch of 1.5 - 1.7kg of hopped lme to which you need to add 1.0 - 1.5kg of additional fermentables (sugar, bke, dme or lme).

The more expensive kits contain approx 3.0 - 4.0kg (2 cans/pouches or 1 big pouch) of hopped lme and require no additions. Some of the more expensive kits will include hops (for dry-hopping) and also priming sugar.

By the time you add the necessary extras to some of the cheaper kits you may well have spent more than a more expensive kit. But with a cheaper kit you possibly have more control over the extras you do or do not add (for economy or taste). You pays your money and takes your choice!

Latest posts

Back