Easy Keg 5L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Need to label my kegs better, just opened a stout instead of a Pilsner.

I knocked up this chalkboard in the garage to keep track of what's in each MK and Keg. It sits above the shelves which are again marked.

It's easy if you stay sober enough to wipe stuff off the board when an MK or a Keg is emptied ... :thumb:

... but it's not quite so easy to keep moving the arrows around as stocks on the shelves diminish and then get replaced! :whistle:

To France Sep:16.jpg

Shelves Full.jpg

I knocked up this chalkboard in the garage to keep track of what's in each MK and Keg. It sits above the shelves which are again marked.

It's easy if you stay sober enough to wipe stuff off the board when an MK or a Keg is emptied ... :thumb:

... but it's not quite so easy to keep moving the arrows around as stocks on the shelves diminish and then get replaced! :whistle:

I need to do this. I did have my bottles arranged in shelves with my empties in crates, but I switched t over in the cold weather and now I don't know what's what. My steam beers have silver caps which is fine, but my American wheat(now finished) had plain white caps, my Santa Paws had Yourbrew samples, and my Belgian pale a combination of the latter 2.

I need to do this. I did have my bottles arranged in shelves with my empties in crates, but I switched t over in the cold weather and now I don't know what's what. My steam beers have silver caps which is fine, but my American wheat(now finished) had plain white caps, my Santa Paws had Yourbrew samples, and my Belgian pale a combination of the latter 2.

Ha ha,sounds like my shed,half the time i dont know what im opening 😀

@dutto I like what you have done and I have black thick shelves like yours so it could be done, and should be done.

Currently I use a chalk pen to mark bottles and kegs. Unfortunately it doesn't rub well enough off a keg, hence tonight's mix up.

I went to open a keg of American brown ale last night only to find the vent had been left open when I filled it so it was flat as a fart! :cry: Thankfully the other keg was fine so I started on that and it's a really good beer. I'll try and transfer he flat keg in to bottles today with some more sugar unless anyone has a suggestion on how I could reprime in the keg?

I went to open a keg of American brown ale last night only to find the vent had been left open when I filled it so it was flat as a fart! :cry: Thankfully the other keg was fine so I started on that and it's a really good beer. I'll try and transfer he flat keg in to bottles today with some more sugar unless anyone has a suggestion on how I could reprime in the keg?

Draw some beer out into a cup, warm it up and add sugar.

Remove bung and add sugar solution

What leon says. Just reprime it.

I stopped bothering with these some time ago as bottles suite me well and anything I don't bottle goes into a 1/2 size PB I prefer them to the bigger barrels and I can add a bit of Co2 as needed.

After messing about using loosing loads of Co2/Co2 bulbs I developed a tidy way that works well with the grey stoppers.

Get a Stainless Steel car tyre valve, not from the bay they are mostly fake, shove it up through the centre of the bung screw the nut down gently to hold it in place.

Fill your easy keg and fit the bung, it's harder than usual but still manageable then tighten the nut doing so will spread the bung a little and improve the seal.

Now for the tricky bit, you need a tyre pressure gauge (cheap on the bay) and either a Co2 bottle or a good quality Co2 tyre infiltrator it needs to be good as you don't want to use all the bulb at once. A bottle n gauge is ALL WAYS the best option.

You are now able to add a dab of Co2 as needed or if your feeling the love for no sediment a "slow method" forced carb the cans are supposed to be able to hold up to 20psi but I can not verify that.

I did try with valves mounted through holes drilled in the top of the MK and DIY valve/tap assemblies but an easy keg and a valve through the bung is much easier and costs less.

Good luck aamcle

PS bottling is MUCH EASIER if you are well organised :)

Dutto that is awesome. I use a similar but smaller scale to identify my beers. I write a number in the top of each cap and have a chalk board with what each number is.

So much easier than labels and using my brain too much trying to remember

...... I write a number in the top of each cap and have a chalk board with what each number is.

I tried a similar system myself and I had some interesting moments as a result.

The classics were two beer bottles; one marked GM03/15 and the second WW.

I couldn't remember what was in them but I opened GM03/15 thinking it was a beer. When I didn't hear the characteristic "Phttt" I suddenly remembered that I had used some beer bottles for "Grape and Mango" wine about 18 months before.

The WW was even more stupid. I puzzled over it for quite a while before I opened it and it was only when I was pouring it that I realised that I had been looking at a bottle of Marsh Mild upside down! :doh: :doh:

I blame old age! :whistle: :whistle:

@dutto I like what you have done and I have black thick shelves like yours so it could be done, and should be done.

Currently I use a chalk pen to mark bottles and kegs. Unfortunately it doesn't rub well enough off a keg, hence tonight's mix up.
I got black PVC labels for a few pence from China to go with my chalk pens.

Sent from my HT7 using Tapatalk

Has anybody tried building a mini kegerator, could be an interesting project. Maybe fed by a sodastream cylinder?
http://www.leyland-home-brew.co.uk/home-bar-set-1502-p.asp

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

I think it comes into the "Good in theory." category.

I for one wouldn't want the hassle of changing out a tiny MK every three or four days ... :nono: :nono:

... or every two or three hours if we had someone over to visit! :doh:

I like the idea as space is limited for me and always use mini-kegs with gravity tap. This could well (perhaps not from them though as very expensive for what it is) be the solution.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I like the idea as space is limited for me and always use mini-kegs with gravity tap. This could well (perhaps not from them though as very expensive for what it is) be the solution.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

There only 6 quid each and re-useable, even the bung. I bought some spare bungs but havent had call to use them as the original ones are still going strong. So work out quite cheap all things considering

Back