Ace micro brewer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But it doesn't keep the grain far enough from the heat source?

unless your step mashing which is rare these days its much preferable to rely on heat retention and insulation to maintain a mash temp to within a few degrees of optimum than apply direct heat input.

Because you have the kettle rims capacity it does not require you to use it.

a camping mat wrapped round the kettle and a cushion sat on the lid should retain the mash temp, the camping mat will also aid reaching strike temp and the boil a tad faster too.

just a thought ;)

unless your step mashing which is rare these days its much preferable to rely on heat retention and insulation to maintain a mash temp to within a few degrees of optimum than apply direct heat input.

a camping mat wrapped round the kettle and a cushion sat on the lid should retain the mash temp, the camping mat will also aid reaching strike temp and the boil a tad faster too.

just a thought ;)
Yes, I asked the question because soupdragon has been discussing how to clean the burnt residue off the boiler mask, so presumably he's getting a bit too much heat near the grain at some stage.

The basic ACE boiler has enough insulation to maintain mash temp to within a degree anyway, I'd assumed that this would too.

The basket does actually keep all the grain inside. I can't recall where but I've read that concealed elements can suffer from hot spots thereby causing some of the sugars in the wort to caramelize.
That's my take on it, hence the question about a thinner mash helping the situation

Cheers. Tom

The burnt residue will be from the boiling stage?
Yes, and soupdragon even said that a while ago. I just got lost in the conversation when someone mentioned using a bin or bag or something to help with the problem.

Having said that I've learned something from it because I didn't realise that residue from boiling was ever an issue so at least I'll know what to look out for if ever it happens to me.

just a thought ;)

Are there any notable recipes with step mashing to follow ?

If not then I think experiments will be done once I get the hand of doing an ag brew

Yes - I already have the ACE mash tun. I've got everything I need at hand or on order from t'Interweb and will build it soon.
However, it would have been cheaper to buy the ACE micro brewer :doh:

So long as lessons are learnt that's the important bit!

So finally got my Ace Micro Brewery. Unfortunately I either A.) Can't operate it or B.) It doesn't work

https://youtu.be/nWZKEAfHnfQ

Pressing start didn't seem to do anything either. I did manage to pick up some other goodies. Got my brew jacket, bottling bucket, capper, cleaner/sanitizer and other little things.

I'm currently talking to the individual on eBay 'Skez' about the issue and said he would contact the manufacturer. Trouble is, they're in China. Who knows when they'll get back to me. Going to cross my fingers :(

If anyone has any thoughts, maybe I'm inept and not pressing the right buttons, please chime in. You would think it would be intuitive.

So finally got my Ace Micro Brewery. Unfortunately I either A.) Can't operate it or B.) It doesn't work

Pressing start didn't seem to do anything either. I did manage to pick up some other goodies. Got my brew jacket, bottling bucket, capper, cleaner/sanitizer and other little things.

I'm currently talking to the individual on eBay 'Skez' about the issue and said he would contact the manufacturer. Trouble is, they're in China. Who knows when they'll get back to me. Going to cross my fingers :(

If anyone has any thoughts, maybe I'm inept and not pressing the right buttons, please chime in. You would think it would be intuitive.

OKAY. I'm an idiot. Got it to work :)

I deleted the video I posted. I got it to work after sitting down and programming it. Thanks. I'll fiddle around with it and update. :whistle:

good luck @mgkpancake,

looks VERY FRUSTRATING!! i would investigate opening the base without braking any tamper seals to check the element with a continuity test across its terminals (set a multimeter to continuity buzzer if present or any resistance setting if not) without any power connected touch the elements terminals with the meters spikes, it should Buzz with continuity or indicate nominal resistance (turn from 1 to 0 if set to resistance) if the element is ok.

there is probably 2 protection devices employed a thermal fuse and a thermal switch, the switch may have a reset button (pushrod) positioned in the base centre? worth giving that a push test.. and both of these are worth checking for faults..

with all those eliminated for faults then the control box and its outputs are worth checking out.

well thats how i would attack the problem,, BUT if tamper stickers etc are employed you could break the guarantee if you delve inside without written (email ) permission from the seller.

Again good luck..

good luck @mgkpancake,

looks VERY FRUSTRATING!! i would investigate opening the base without braking any tamper seals to check the element with a continuity test across its terminals (set a multimeter to continuity buzzer if present or any resistance setting if not) without any power connected touch the elements terminals with the meters spikes, it should Buzz with continuity or indicate nominal resistance (turn from 1 to 0 if set to resistance) if the element is ok.

there is probably 2 protection devices employed a thermal fuse and a thermal switch, the switch may have a reset button (pushrod) positioned in the base centre? worth giving that a push test.. and both of these are worth checking for faults..

with all those eliminated for faults then the control box and its outputs are worth checking out.

well thats how i would attack the problem,, BUT if tamper stickers etc are employed you could break the guarantee if you delve inside without written (email ) permission from the seller.

Again good luck..

Found the issue! It was user error. A really dumb oversight I know.. :) It does indicate in the manual that the Ace Micro Brewer will NOT start without the 3 parameters entered- time, temperature, and power setting.

I posted some videos:

How to program the Ace Micro Brewer
https://youtu.be/2qsTg9OOYXQ

Features of the Ace Micro Brewer
https://youtu.be/lvvNzy3X1rs

Ace Micro Brewery guts
https://youtu.be/qcTXiv0XWW0

Hopefully since I ran into this issue this will help other brewers interested in this little unit. :grin:

Brilliant, thanks for the videos. I'm sure that would have flummoxed me when mine turns up!
Barbs
Found the issue! It was user error. A really dumb oversight I know.. :) It does indicate in the manual that the Ace Micro Brewer will NOT start without the 3 parameters entered- time, temperature, and power setting.

I posted some videos:

How to program the Ace Micro Brewer
https://youtu.be/2qsTg9OOYXQ

Features of the Ace Micro Brewer
https://youtu.be/lvvNzy3X1rs

Ace Micro Brewery guts
https://youtu.be/qcTXiv0XWW0

Hopefully since I ran into this issue this will help other brewers interested in this little unit. :grin:

Back