Translucent Fermentor?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blawford

Reaction score
I am looking for a couple of new fermentation buckets.

I am currently using the fermenter that came with the Coopers starter kit, which looks like this:

IMG_2437.jpg

I have found it useful to be able to see into it so I can tell what is going on, hence the request for something similar. I am looking for something less bulky without a tap so I can stick it in a heated water bath. Has anyone got any recommendations or want to tell me looking for something specifically translucent is unnecessary?

Cheers.

Probably better to not be able to see in given all the anxiety it seems to cause reading posts hereabouts.

Mine's very opaque stainless steel. As I've seen it all before I can just imagine what's going on and be saved from the un-necessary stress.

My fermenter has a sampling port half way up. Now that is useful for gravity readings (and samples!).

I am looking for a couple of new fermentation buckets.

I am currently using the fermenter that came with the Coopers starter kit, which looks like this:

IMG_2437.jpg

I have found it useful to be able to see into it so I can tell what is going on, hence the request for something similar. I am looking for something less bulky without a tap so I can stick it in a heated water bath. Has anyone got any recommendations or want to tell me looking for something specifically translucent is unnecessary?

Cheers.

Remember to keep it in the dark or covered though to avoid skunking...

I've never kept my coopers FV (which now does no-chill duties) in the dark and never had skunking. It is in the kitchen corner though and not in direct sunlight

There is a big difference between artificial and natural light! Thankfully I too haven't experienced skunking of my brew :)

My view of "skunking" is it's another "American" import to get unnecessarily concerned about. I have also never experienced "skunking" even when seemingly inviting it. I don't think the UK really gets the required weather for it.

My FV with a tap fits in a garden trub as a water bath (used last summer for cooling)

+1 for glass carboy. I was concerned about cleaning but a good soak overnight with dishwasher power or oxy does the trick.

Also a glass carboy has a bigger thermal mass and is good at conducting heat so should work well in a water bath.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back