Square Boilers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barley Bottom

Reaction score
Hi all
Has any one had any experience with a square boiler? I have been in talks with the local fabricator and I’m looking into having a 150 litres boiler made in stainless steel. We were talking about the pros and cons of square and round boilers, anyone any thoughts or sensible suggestions.

Paul

I think the reason most boilers are round is that it uses least materials . . Plus stuff like an optimal surface are a to volume ratio.

As long as the boiler was tall in relation to width then I couldn't really see an issue with a square boiler. . . . Short Squat one I don't think there would be optimal wort movement.

Barley Bottom said:
Hi Aleman
We are thinking of a 500mm x 500mm x 650mm. one problem ive heard of is the hops collecting in the corners.

Paul

This is what I was going to mention. With corners/seams it would be more difficult to clean. If you can manage to ensure that all organic materials are cleaned from the boiler, you should be safe though :)

I think that would be a problem with a short squat boiler . . . with a taller design . . . . and an element offset to one side you would get enough wort movement to prevent that..

As others have mentions though cleaning is also going to be an issue.

Incidentally are you still able to get hold of Cypherco Plastic Pins :pray:

I used to use a burco 30 ltr boiler that was square. Never had any hops collecting in the corners and it worked great!

Just visually, most of the circulation in my (cylindrical) boiler seems to be vertically oriented rather than swirling around horizontally; I've no practical experience with a square boiler sadly, but unless you whirlpool I wouldn't have 'thought' there'd be a major problem with it. Perhaps if its electric it may depend on where you stick the elements more to get activity in the corners..

Either way I wish mine was taller and narrower; its electric and quite wide so theres a fair volume below the top of the element which limits the minimum batch size; not only must the element be covered but it doesn't work as well unless theres more wort above it than below to get things circulating. I guess one could look at a bottom-mounted burco type of element or automated stirring/recirculating though..

Cheers
kev

I use square burco boiler not as big as your proposed one mines 400mm ,400mm , 350mm so its a bit squat but i still manage to fill it to brim pre boil circa 44L , only drawbacks for me is i seem to lose a lot during boil maybe to large surface area [started to knock stat down once rolling boil is reached this seems to be helping, other thing is my cooler is cylindrical so doesnt get to all parts evenly but thats just up to me to make one to suit a square boiler. As for cleaning never had any probs
While i'm on many thanks for your prompt deliveries barley b :thumb:

Hi Chaps
We have decided to play with a round boiler first, im going for a heavy duty plastic barrel. Once we the size right im getting one made from stainless steel. The plastic barrel is 210 litres and is going to be the boiler and is fitted with 2x 3kw immersion heaters. The black one is a 112 litre stainless steel and is the mash tun. Ive just ordered 3 more yellow barrels, one for a HLT and 2 fermenters. The middle one is 100 litres but is too small for what I need.

Had a test boil today but the electric kept tripping out, with the 2 heaters on. Need to get the electrician in to wire me up 2 heavy duty sockets.

Ill keep you posted on the progress.

DSCF1035.jpg

My local micro has a square boiler, works a treat.. :thumb:

Only have a pic of the inside, but gives some idea..

IMAG0126.jpg

We are now registered with HMC and ready for a test brew. Im starting a brew tomorrow, Just trying out an 82 litre brew to see how the immersion heaters and barrels work out. If all goes well I will try a full barrel at Christmas.

P14-12-11_1615.jpg

The Rhursday brewday when very well, only one hiccup, I should have pre heated the mash tun. the mash temp was a little low at 62oc. I put the water on at 0815hrs, we got finished and cleaned up by 1500hrs. Had a 2 hour mash and a 1 hour boil. The plate cooler is not ready yet so i cooled over night. Pitched the yeast in yesterday, its fermenting away now.
If all goes ok ill try a full barrel over christmas week.

Latest posts

Back