Sugar?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil_MG

Reaction score
I've read in the "How To" section about using different types of sugar for different effect, IE normal sugar is ok, but glucose is better, and spray malt better still.

I've got a box in the cupboard which says on it "Glucose" and underneath in brackets "Dextrose powder". Forgive me I'm mistaken, but aren't they two different things? I've read that dextrose isn't much good as a priming sugar as it doesn't ferment, but can be used sometimes for stouts or other things which you want a bit of sweetness to, without being fermented.
So what type of glucose do I actually need then if there's more than one type of glucose? I'm doing a Czech pilsner if that helps anyone to make a recommendation?

Hmm I think I know where I've gone wrong. I've somehow managed to mix up dextrose and lactose. Lactose being the stuff that's non-fermentable and can be used for stouts, does that sound about right?

Ive never used it but im 99.9% sure dextrose is fermentable. Its more like a powder i think but ok to use as priming sugar.

Yeah the stuff we've got is a white fine powder. On the box as being more a health thing though to give an easy form of energy when mixed with water. I presume it can be used as a form of isotonic drink as well.

Latest posts

Back