DRIED YEAST PRICE HIKE!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

periolus

Landlord.
Reaction score
I just went to my Homebrew shop to stock up on some dried yeasts, as trying to save money now and can't afford as much liquid yeast.

TO MY HORROR :shock: - Nottingham, Safale-S04 and Windsor have all been put up from £1.79 to £3.59! Apparently the suppliers have doubled prices suddenly in recent weeks! Anyone else noticed this yet? What the hell would cause this?

Nottingham and Windsor have change packaging to vacuum packed.

S04 . . . No idea . . . but suddenly the cost of Whitelabs / Wyeast / Brewlabs yeast does not seem so bad.

Liquid yeast does indeed seem much more reasonable. Whatever I brew with, I will be going a good 3 generations with it in future!

I have 6 packs of dried yeast now, which I will do at least 2 brews each with. The idea is that at the end of those brews I want my first batch (or two) of AG brew to have conditioned and be ready to drink. Which means I need to get on with the build! That's the timeframe now.

Come xmas, I will have the cash to get the rest of the brewery and start building. Launch day is being pushed back to March 1st.

Aleman said:
Nottingham and Windsor have change packaging to vacuum packed.

S04 . . . No idea . . . but suddenly the cost of Whitelabs / Wyeast / Brewlabs yeast does not seem so bad.

:thumb:

Brewlabs yeast is only £4 delivered - they will even make it up as a viable starter for you (they offered to do this at no extra cost for me) http://www.brewlab.co.uk/analysisandresearch.asp (half way down the page).

I have just used Brewlabs TVII (it went like a flippin rocket and it's still going 14days later), and plan to re-use this yeast at least a few times - is there a general view (or perhaps even an Aleman view :grin: ) on how many times you could / should re-use a yeast before it loses it's properties? :?:

I will of course look in the rest of the forum :grin:

As far as I understand, there is a limit of 4 generations before it starts to get iffy,

BREW 1: Pitch into Keg
BREW 2: Pour new wort onto yeast cake from Brew 1
BREW 3: Clean yeast from Brew 2 to remove dead ones and split into two starters
BREW 4: Same again - clean and split into two starters

So that's actually 6 brews from 1 original source as far as I understand it. I maybe wrong though!

Yep, Nottingham yeast went from £2 a pack, to £2.40, and suddenly £3.40 :shock:

Edina Homebrew in Edinburgh stopped stocking it, telling the supplier no-one would want it at that price, but due to continuing demand they are stocking it again.

I HOPE that as the higher cost of packing is gradually recouped, competition may start to push the prices back down, but that may be a slim hope.....

Brewlabs, as stated £4 delivered, make up starter as directed, step up to 100gms of malt extract in a litre of water and split 6 ways. Cost .66p and price of spraymalt for top quality yeast.

dennisking said:
Brewlabs, as stated £4 delivered, make up starter as directed, step up to 100gms of malt extract in a litre of water and split 6 ways. Cost .66p and price of spraymalt for top quality yeast.

Spot on is that Dennis :thumb:
I also make starters with WhiteLabs vials and then split these in to 3 or 4.

I think there may be a few sachets at cheaper prices at the mo' but possibly it will go out of date soon so no good me stocking up with it. Think i may switch to the brewlabs stuff or other liquid ones and split them to suit. :cheers:

I've ordered 10 packs from them - will keep them in the freezer as I have done with all my other dried yeasts, and that's me sticked up on yeast for a good while :cheers:

Latest posts

Back