Campden Tablet BBE

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jambanks

Reaction score
I have a tub of campden tablets that are about 18months old. They have no best before date on them unlike most other items so do i assume they are still ok to use?

If you aren't asthmatic and have no other breathing problems, remove the cap and waft the pot a few inches underneath your nose. If they still tickle the hairs or make you cough, go ahead and use them. Don't try to take a good sniff!

Mine are probably older than that and are still fine. :thumb:

A mate brewed with me last week and was sniffing things that went in, which made sense with malts and hops - he regretted the camden tablets - turned round to see him pulling a great face and then reading the pot though :lol: So pretty sure mine are ok

I have used campden tablets from the age when boots where selling homebrew equipment, they were still fine and did their job :thumb:

Hawks said:
Mine are probably older than that and are still fine. :thumb:

A mate brewed with me last week and was sniffing things that went in, which made sense with malts and hops - he regretted the camden tablets - turned round to see him pulling a great face and then reading the pot though :lol: So pretty sure mine are ok

I have done the same!!! Never again :lol: :whistle:

Moley said:
If you aren't asthmatic and have no other breathing problems, remove the cap and waft the pot a few inches underneath your nose. If they still tickle the hairs or make you cough, go ahead and use them. Don't try to take a good sniff!

Did what you mentioned Moley and no tickle, decided to crush one from the bottom of the tube and still i could inhale. So shot them in the bin. Will buy some more these week ready for racking my WOW on saturday

I'm still using Camden Tablets that I bought when I first started brewing about 15 years. They've spent about 12 years in an old fermenter in the loft, along with a load of other old brewing kit while I wasn't brewing.

They still seem to work fine.

Back