wlp002

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnluc

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all,started to split a wlp002 on tuesday now after 48 hrs nothing is happening, yeast is 1 month after use by date is it dead or do i need patience.
johnluc.

penny just dropped what you'r saying, :oops: can this be cured or is it terminal taking temps regulary and doing 30min obs still no sign of life, seems to be in a vegative state do i need to pull the plug and let it go with dignity. :pray:

I would always suggest a new batch if nothing happens after 48 hours. All the usual questions apply, how well have it been kept? Temps at pitching etc. But fundamentally if its not happy a new one is always going to ne better

sorry been out if the yeast shows no sign of life after around 3 days its had it get a new yeast but sometimes it can work if your lucky. How out of date is it?

its about six weeks after best before date,its been kept in fridge since i bought it,and has been kept at a constant 20o c since i started it.

good news everybody patient came round today, bubling every 15 secs hope it makes a half decent brew. :party:

Good news :thumb: I keep meening to try this yeast but every time I have placed an order for a brew it has always been out of stock. One day I will get to use it im sure :D

I would definitely recommend sampling the yeast before adding it to the batch. There is a big risk with slow starters that something else could be in there. Yes yeast smells a bit but if it smells absolutely rank and tastes truely awful then don't use it.

I sucessfully managed to revive 2 vials of WLP 565 saison yeast that was a year old!
I started small and got 2 one litre starters going and when they started to show some life
i added another 2 litres of wort to each starter, when it finished it happily fermented a
full 1060 batch down to 1009, patience and a bit of TLC :thumb:

Back