combining different yeasts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oshodisa

Reaction score
Hi All,

sorry if this is a potentially stupid question, but it is one that has had me umming and ahhhing for a little while.

Different yeasts impart different notes into the beer, what would happen if you combined different yeasts known for different flavours?

Has anyone tried it, is it a stupid thought?

Ta for any thoughts on the subject.

Not a stupid thought at all. Lots of brewers do it, not so much at a homebrew level but it isn't unkown. In fact whitelabs sell some vials of mixed strains.

Even if you don't count Brett as a brewer's yeast. I know the Belgians get up to it (of course they do :D), I think Saison Dupont uses a blend of 6. Then there is the bacteria...

One thing to consider is how much of each strain you are using and what you want them to do. For example you could combine a very flavoursome strain which isn't all that attenuative with one that finishes very low to get a tasty but drier beer. There are also considerations about when you add each strain and in what proportions. I'm not sure how easy it is to do anything other than add more than one strain at the beginning.

oshodisa said:
Different yeasts impart different notes into the beer, what would happen if you combined different yeasts known for different flavours?

I'm glad you asked that I was thinking that the other day :)

Cheers for the answer TheMumbler :thumb:

Back