Coopers Original Stout Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not much.
As Arcs said. Take a gravity reading.
When you take a gravity reading don't throw the sample away. Leave it next to the FV with the hydrometer in.
Saves taking samples and you should see the hydrometer drop over the days.
Just because there are no bubbles doesn't mean it's stuck. Fermentation would have just calmed down.

on my hydrometer its saying around 1010 is that right?

on my hydrometer its saying around 1010 is that right?
1010 sounds right.
The majority of my beers don't go below that.
But, it hasn't been in the FV very long has it?
Leave it a few more days. Although it's done people tend to leave there brews in the FV for 10 days or so.
They seem to say it's so the yeast can clean up.

Hey all!
So this is my first post regarding my first brew I just started with the hope of some some advise please.

I decided to try a Coopers Original Stout kit with the addition of 1kg of Coopers Enhancer 3 and 500g of soft brown sugar and filled short to 20L at around 21deg.
My OG was 1052 and within just over 48hrs it has dropped to 1008.
Is this about right? There was no aggressive fermenting.

Many thanks!

Hey all!
So this is my first post regarding my first brew I just started with the hope of some some advise please.

I decided to try a Coopers Original Stout kit with the addition of 1kg of Coopers Enhancer 3 and 500g of soft brown sugar and filled short to 20L at around 21deg.
My OG was 1052 and within just over 48hrs it has dropped to 1008.
Is this about right? There was no aggressive fermenting.

Many thanks!
The Coopers kit yeast is very good. I find it always drops a couple of points more than if I use a saflager yeast.
1052 - 1008 in 48 hours, that's a real quick ferment.
I'm sure if I say most people leave the brew in the fermenter for 2 weeks someone will come on say otherwise.
But if I were you I'd be in no hurry to bottle it. Definitely leave it 10 days.
Personally I won't even check the gravity after a couple of days. Wastes too much beer.
At least you know it's fermenting.

Nothing wrong with brewing that kit, but I always look at stout as being a winter drink.
I imagine people in the UK, presuming that's where you are, making Lager at this time of year.

The Coopers kit yeast is very good. I find it always drops a couple of points more than if I use a saflager yeast.
I'm sure if I say most people leave the brew in the fermenter for 2 weeks someone will come on say otherwise.
Personally I won't even check the gravity after a couple of days. Wastes too much beer.

Nothing wrong with brewing that kit, but I always look at stout as being a winter drink.
I imagine people in the UK, presuming that's where you are, making Lager at this time of year.
Not all of us Pete =) Good cold stout in summer beats a lager for me everytime ;d I do see alot of real ale drinkers looking for beers with citra hops in it. Not my thang unless it's just a hop water =)

Much appreciate the tips there!
I’ll definitely leave it for ten days before bottling and look forward to sampling a few.

Latest posts

Back