bottle prices

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I'm paying 1.95 each for a 500ml brown swing top bottle

Of course I do have to empty the contents first :lol:

56p isn't bad, you can get them as cheap as 12p each . . . . when you are buying 2000 at a time :shock:

That depends, things to look for in bottles:

Brown in colour (to prevent skunking, which is an off flavour from hops not liking sunlight)
Quite thick glass (heavy bottles) - They will be handling a fair amount of pressure - particularly if you'll be going for a fizz in lagers.

I've always thought that it's a shame to buy empty bottles for a couple of reasons, loads get thrown into recycling by your neighbours and for not much more you can get them full of beer from the shop.

Having said that 40 bottles at that price is £22.40 and you get to use them again and again and again.

I'd have a wander down the road on recycling day to see what folk are throwing out, if you feel cheeky you could ask if they mind if you grab some as you're a homebrewer, you'll probablt find you get a constant supply then in exchange for a few given back filled :P :cheers:

cheers for the input guys, I have my brothe on the case. As he drinks a lot og bottled beer but they are only 330ml bottles. Hmmm may have to get drinking.

Find a local pub that sells Magners and ask them if they'll keep the bottles for you. They're pint bottles which in itself is fairly uncommon in this age of metricity. They're also good and thick so should take a fair amount of pressure.

/Phil.

Phil said:
Find a local pub that sells Magners and ask them if they'll keep the bottles for you. They're pint bottles which in itself is fairly uncommon in this age of metricity. They're also good and thick so should take a fair amount of pressure.

/Phil.

Funny you should say that, me and the wife were just discussing the same thing. I'm in the RAF as you can imagine the camp has its fair share of bars. Shouldn't take me long to accumulate 40 empty magners bottles.

I've found that if you're collecting bottles that German/Belgian bottles are by far the easiest to get the labels off. Next is American (the glue is a b*stard though) and worst by far is British. British labels are just a nightmare.

Bobo said:
Phil said:

/Phil.

Funny you should say that, me and the wife were just discussing the same thing. I'm in the RAF as you can imagine the camp has its fair share of bars. Shouldn't take me long to accumulate 40 empty magners bottles.

And the labels come of easy in a 5 minute soak in warm water.

jb.

Latest posts

Back