wlp002 experience please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robsan77

Landlord.
Reaction score
Fermented a 1040 beer for 1 week, moved into secondary with a hop paste for 1 week and chilled to 3 c to drop the hop material. Just bottled and primed but the bottles are so clear after just a few hours. (bottled cold and had a chill haze I think)

I think its never going to condition and I should have re-seeded.

Can anyone with experience with 002 tell me its going to be alright?

not with wlp002, but yeast usually lies dormant, the cold doesn't kill it like heat does.

on that note, put them in the warm and crack one after the best part of a week. if you have nothing, add a few grains of yeast to each bottle and recap. tedious, but worthwhile, and you can use basically any yeast for bottling.

As Rob said +1

I bottled a pale ale last Saturday that was completely clear that had been fementing with S-04 for 3 weeks, and it's carbonating up nicely. There is still plenty of yeast in the beer even though it is clear, so you'll be ok.

The thing is, 002 drops out like lead. The so4 beer I've got on is clearly still with yeast. I guess ill know next week whether its working or not.

robsan77 said:
The thing is, 002 drops out like lead. The so4 beer I've got on is clearly still with yeast. I guess ill know next week whether its working or not.

Hi Robsan.
I've just came across this old post of yours and wondered if your beer ever conditioned using 002?
Im in the same situation, Ive got a very bright ale ready to bottle, if I prime will it carbonate?

Cheers kid.
Steve.
Burton on Trent.

Hopefully Robsan won't mind me chipping in here...

I've been using wlp002 a lot lately, and it bottle carbs as well as anything I've used, and better than most. And my beer is super clear at the time of bottling, thanks to the yeast being so flocculant (it then goes on to develop a chill haze when cooled, but that's a different story). So if I was you I wouldn't worry - go ahead and bottle it.

MacKiwi said:
Hopefully Robsan won't mind me chipping in here...

I've been using wlp002 a lot lately, and it bottle carbs as well as anything I've used, and better than most. And my beer is super clear at the time of bottling, thanks to the yeast being so flocculant (it then goes on to develop a chill haze when cooled, but that's a different story). So if I was you I wouldn't worry - go ahead and bottle it.

Cheers guys for your replies.
I got my Boadicea SMaSH Ale bottled today with no concerns regarding brightness.

I was talking to a guy from the Coors Brewery ( :whistle: ) yesterday, and he said that a bright ale measured 300 (please forgive me I cant remember the units) on their machine that counts yeast content, while a Carling Lager measures 0.4

Cheers
Steve.

BurtonBrewer said:
I was talking to a guy from the Coors Brewery ( :whistle: ) yesterday, and he said that a bright ale measured 300 (please forgive me I cant remember the units) on their machine that counts yeast content, while a Carling Lager measures 0.4
Is the flavour measured in the same way?

Latest posts

Back