Wilko's pear cider.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gravity has been pretty constant for almost a week. I'm happy with the seal, never had a problem before, but you never know I guess.

There'll be no harm leaving it until the weekend? It's been in the FV 4 weeks. :wha:

I picked up two of these kits in the sale.
Brewed one and it is absolutely disgusting !
It tastes like liquid peardrops.
Genuinely the first unspoiled brew that I've ever poured down the drain.

I sold the other kit for a fiver and that was forced on me because my original offer was:
"Take it and if you can drink it after you've brewed it, then you can cive me a fiver".

Mine has been sitting in bottles for 2 months... tasted it again yesterday, not nice. It tastes heavily diluted. .

Buy some pure apple juice and brew 23 litres of that. This kit isn't worth it.

On a side note, it may be salvageable with vimto !

I got one of these kits about a month ago now and Its not bad at all ( small tester in glass well 750ml)

I substituted all the sugar and water for apple Juice and very pleased with the result, just need to let it mature for a few months and crack it open for Xmas.

FYI I bottle in 750 Leffe champagne type bottles and I used 1 table spoon of sugar to add some extra fizz, to Cava it a bit.

GARYSMIFF said:
I got one of these kits about a month ago now and Its not bad at all ( small tester in glass well 750ml)

I substituted all the sugar and water for apple Juice and very pleased with the result, just need to let it mature for a few months and crack it open for Xmas.

FYI I bottle in 750 Leffe champagne type bottles and I used 1 table spoon of sugar to add some extra fizz, to Cava it a bit.
+1, would probably make this kit a whole lot better

Brewed it mid may, it's still cloudy it tastes nothing like pear and it's taking up valuable space in the shed.
I'm almost at the point of slinging it, I have a couple of bottles every now and then but it's taking some shifting; without question this is the least palatable thing I've brewed and won't be bothering with it again.

Just put this on (had it since the 50% sale!) with 3 litres apple juice, 1.2kg sugar and topped up to 23 litres with bottled water. I also swapped the yeast for a packet of youngs cider yeast. OG was 1.050

Completely agree on the overpowering pear drop smell! :sick: Interested to see how this turns out though to be honest, although it doesn't sound good from the reviews here :lol:

I have managed to lose the instructions for this kit.. How much sugar per 500ml bottle do you put in when you bottle?

I have managed to lose the instructions for this kit.. How much sugar per 500ml bottle do you put in when you bottle?

Not sure about what the kit instructions would say, but in general a level teaspoon is 4 grams and 5 grams is about right, so a slightly heaped teaspoon imo.

Back