Speciality Grain - Why?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pjam

Landlord.
Reaction score
Really showing myself up here :oops:

I used Crystal malt in my first extract brew and now carapils in my second ........ but why?

Are they for sugar? or flavour, or aroma, or colour? :?:

Carapils promotes head formation and retention and gives the beer a fuller rounder flavour which i use regulary

crystal malts for adding subtle sweetness to balance
:drink:

I'm only using about 250g in about 2 litres of water, so probably not having a massive effect ......... could I use more do ya think?

Great info as always Noby :hat:

My first one is already really moreish and it's not even out of the secondary! The brew with the carapils will be something to look forward to I think :)

Any other grains I could try for my third? I'm keen to keep things bright, light and fresh .......... not so keen on the darker ales.

Pjam said:
I'm only using about 250g in about 2 litres of water, so probably not having a massive effect ......... could I use more do ya think?
You make the beer from the base malt (pale ale , pilsners etc ) but you add a different twist with additions of other grains that have been roasted , toasted and other such things and so you use these for flavour ,colour , mouthfeel , head retention and a few more reasons .
So for extract brewing you can't mash the grains and get sugars but you can soak certain grains to get the above out of them . The way they have already been malted usually means they don't need mashing anyway but base malt does .
Apart from yeast and hops it's the way to make one beer different to the next . ;)

Using and understanding these grain then, seems like another good step toward full AG. Must admit, I did take note of the marked difference between the Crystal malt I used last time and the Carapils I used today.
Baby steps for me but I'm loving it :D

So if beer was a sandwich......... your base malts would be the bread (white, brown, wholemeal, etc) and your hops would be the filling (cheese, ham, coronation chicken) your speciality grains would be the sauce/garnish if you chose to have it (mustard, tomato). Its a sandwich without but you cant really have a good ham sandwich without mustard.

I've got no idea if this make sense, but was a good distraction from work for 5mins. :cheers:

When used in heavy beers crystal would in actual fact offer to much body and be cloyingly sweet were as carapils isn't so cloying but will still give somebody and taste.

Basically you need to select a speciality grain to suit the job in hand or the subtleties of flavour that you want. :thumb:

Yes, my brew with crystal does have a sweetness to it and it does suit (beginners luck probably)

Tis a learning process and I'll no doubt make some less than brilliant beer sometimes, you guys are giving me a step-up though which is great :cheers:

Hmmmmmmm I fancy a ham sandwich with mustard now :? ................ just finished cleaning up, brewing took the whole day again :)

I'm new to BIAB and have found the Malt Millers descriptions very helpful to know what does what.

Back