how much water per kilo of grain?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howyoubrewin

Regular.
Reaction score
I am planning to do a clone recipe of my favourite beer and it calls for 2 kg of maris otter and i just wondered how much water i would need for my steep and how much sparge water would be best? Any advice would be great,cheers.

Short answer: 2.5l per kg.

Long answer involves enzyme activity. I think Beta Amylase (lower temp, better extract) prefers a thicker mash while Alpha Amylase (more body) prefers a thin mash, relatively, so depends on your mash temperature. But in the same way as 65oC is a compromise between Amylase activity, so is pH 5.3 and 2.5litres per kg!

Just a note , you won't be steeping the grain for 30 mins for flavour and colour (speciality grains) you'll be mashing the grain (base malt)for 90 mins at a set temp to extract sugars and flavour .

Good point, Pittsy. 2kg ain't much grain. What else is in there?

You might be mashing for 60 minutes. ;)

Is this an all grain recipe, or partial mash? Using Biab, or mashtun?

Punk IPA clone

2kg maris pale
2kg light lme
Wlp007 yeast
Chinook, simcoe, sauvin and athanum at various intervals.
Brewed to 21L.

I can't do all grain due to limited equipment at my disposal so have asked around and this seems the best compromise.

Sound like it might work?

Then 5 litres of water for 2kg grain. Top up to full boil volume (20odd litres) in the kettle. BIABers will be able to give you more info on 'sparging' there.

I think other popular recipes for the Punk IPA clone use a little Munich malt too, to get the maltiness which you will probably lack with DME. I think it's Munich, could be Vienna.

Your kitchen will smell lovely during the last 10 mins of boil!

howyoubrewin said:
Punk IPA clone

2kg maris pale
2kg light lme
Wlp007 yeast
Brewed to 21L.

I can't do all grain due to limited equipment at my disposal so have asked around and this seems the best compromise.

Yes it's a great method, will make great beer. I've done it. Anywhere between 2.5 litres per kg and 3 litres per kg is fine. BIABers actually put all the water in the mash in one go, for around 6 litres per kg. But small pots mean a more traditional ratio. Then a sparge.

For 2kg grain use 5 to 6 litres water heated to about 75C. Add your grain, stirring, temp will drop to 67ish, depends on various things. You need 65-70 really. Put lid on and cover with towels, coats, sleeping bag, anything. After an hour lift the bag, allow to drain, and pour wort into a bucket. Then drop bag into your pot and add more hot water (about 80C, ideally heated in a separate vessel), stir and leave 10-15 mins. strain again. The exact method depends on what gear you have available. I have a 15 litre and 11 litre pots, so I heated sparge water in the 11 litre during the mash. Amount of water you sparge with and boil depends on size of pot(s). How big is your pot?! Do you have two?

I would boil hops with this wort and add LME at or near the end of the boil.

clibit said:
howyoubrewin said:
Punk IPA clone

2kg maris pale
2kg light lme
Wlp007 yeast
Brewed to 21L.

Yes it's a great method, will make great beer. I've done it. Anywhere between 2.5 litres per kg and 3 litres per kg is fine. BIABers actually put all the water in the mash in one go, for around 6 litres per kg. But small pots mean a more traditional ratio. Then a sparge.

For 2kg grain use 5 to 6 litres water heated to about 75C. Add your grain, stirring, temp will drop to 67ish, depends on various things. You need 65-70 really. Put lid on and cover with towels, coats, sleeping bag, anything. After an hour lift the bag, allow to drain, and pour wort into a bucket. Then drop bag into your pot and add more hot water (about 80C, ideally heated in a separate vessel), stir and leave 10-15 mins. strain again. The exact method depends on what gear you have available. I have a 15 litre and 11 litre pots, so I heated sparge water in the 11 litre during the mash. Amount of water you sparge with and boil depends on size of pot(s). How big is your pot?! Do you have two?

I would boil hops with this wort and add LME at or near the end of the boil.
I have an 11L pot and a couple of 5L pots. Not ideal i know but hope i can still do the brew.

It's an extract brew with grains, you don't need a full boil. Full boil is better, but not essential. On byo.com theres an article "10 steps to better extract brewing", Google it. It says the two main ways to improve extract beers are to mash grains, and do a full boil. Grains more than full boil, I would say. You are putting back compounds lost in the process of making extract. It's almost AG beer. A very good method, simple, stove top. You'll be delighted.

The more liquid you boil the better your hop extraction will be. I think you will need to increase the bittering hops 10-20% for this brewing method. More experienced extract brewers will have a better idea than me.

Back