yeast starter?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is missing all the nutrients needed for yeast growth. Remember you're trying to grow yeast, not make alcohol. Sugar (I assume you mean refined white sugar) is just 'empty calories'

Not that I can think of. I use dme myself just because I happen to have it in but I have also used white sugar to good effect. Just a teaspoon in a jar of cooled boiled water.

You need maltose not simple sugar. Yeast grown on simple sugar stops making the enzyme that enables them to break down maltose. Since wort is mainly maltose, fermenting it with yeast grown on simple sugars results in a beer that will not attenuate properly - White/Zainasheff

jonnymorris said:
You need maltose not simple sugar. Yeast grown on simple sugar stops making the enzyme that enables them to break down maltose. Since wort is mainly maltose, fermenting it with yeast grown on simple sugars results in a beer that will not attenuate properly - White/Zainasheff
+1

You should definitely not use sugar.

Dr Mike said:
It is missing all the nutrients needed for yeast growth. Remember you're trying to grow yeast, not make alcohol. Sugar (I assume you mean refined white sugar) is just 'empty calories'
Thanks everybody. This makes sense. This is by far the best site on the net it's all good information. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back