Saisonon, on, on

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Three weeks to the day. Sitting at 1007, and the clearest I've ever had. Going to use Belgian candy sugar ( as light as I can get) to prime. Already smells and tastes the dees bees...

20150926_001753.jpg

In terms of priming, BJCP 2015 describes Saison as 'highly carbonated'. For using a priming calculator, I am considering using 2.8 as the co2 volume. Too low, too high or about right?

I have no idea about the carbing on a saison but I was marvelling at the clarity in the piccy yesterday. Are saisons usually that clear? Did you do anything special to get it that clear like cold crash or use gelatine?

I have no idea about the carbing on a saison but I was marvelling at the clarity in the piccy yesterday. Are saisons usually that clear? Did you do anything special to get it that clear like cold crash or use gelatine?

Saisons can be anything from clear to cloudy (again, according to BJCP). I haven't used anything apart from the usual whirlfloc tablet 15 mins before flameout. All I can think is the yeast (WLP 566) is a hungry little bugger and has munched (and is still munching, despite 3 weeks in the fv) through everything it can. Never had a beer that clear. Tastes fantastic too.

I've not made a saison but the style guidelines say very highly carbonated, like a wheat beer, and 3 to 3.5 volumes is recommended. However, a lot of people seem to go a bit lower, and I think I would, so 2.8 sounds like a good idea to me. It'll be well enough carbonated I'm sure. Take the temperature of the beer when you bottle it into account in your calculations.

I've not made a saison but the style guidelines say very highly carbonated, like a wheat beer, and 3 to 3.5 volumes is recommended. However, a lot of people seem to go a bit lower, and I think I would, so 2.8 sounds Luke a good idea to me. It'll be well enough carbonated I'm sure. Take the temperature of the beer when you bottle it into account in your calculations.

With that level of carbonation this is one for a corney I think. I use the brewers friend priming calculator which has temperature factored in. Cheers matey.

I tried a saison on the weekend and it wasn't overly carbonated. Saying that it wasn't that nice, I hope my own saison will taste nicer

I tried a saison on the weekend and it wasn't overly carbonated. Saying that it wasn't that nice, I hope my own saison will taste nicer

I made a youngs new world saison ages ago i didnt like it, watching MMs thread as my tastes have changed since then, thinking of doing another maybe a kit again or if MM tells me different maybe il go to the trouble of a ag

If it wasn't a Belgian one then its probably nothing like the real deal. The "craft beer" ones are all over the shop

I made a youngs new world saison ages ago i didnt like it, watching MMs thread as my tastes have changed since then, thinking of doing another maybe a kit again or if MM tells me different maybe il go to the trouble of a ag
Belgian styles are always best done AG in my view. Tried some of those brewferm kits and they were nothing like the real thing.

Steve, your new brew will be a bit like a saison!

I brewed it after tasting Niman's Saison. It was a cracking pint. Then after some sound advice from serum, and reading a book he recommended, I think I'll be brewing more Belgian (and French and German) rusticy farmyardy ales. Oh, and a stout or two, APA, porter, and I'm even considering every other style available! What I would really like to try though, is a Lambic (or should I say 'plambic'). I reckon if I build my stocks up I could wait a couple of years...

had to like that

im prob down to under double figures or my saison..

and to my taste it hasnt aged well.....but then i was undecided if i liked it to begin with..

it was a good beer to make u slur/fall over after a few bottles.

Meh tastes change

on the upside it really makes u realise how poor a lot of "big Brand" beers are..

Latest posts

Back